Cartridge Upgrade for Pro-ject Debut 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it worth upgrading the cartridge of my turntable (currently an Ortofon OMB5E) or should I simply carry on saving and put it towards a better TT like a Rega P3?

Also, how often do you need to replace your cartidge/stylus? I have had my TT (first one) for 13 months and use it for about 5-10 hours a week on average.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
13 months @ 40hrs per month = 520hrs used (ish). I would say that as long as your vinyl is pretty clean and not badly scratched, you will probably get at least another 6 months out of that stylus, if not 12.

Normally styli go for around 750-1000hrs or so.

You could just go for an OM10E stylus which would fit perfectly on your OM body, and would give a decent upgrade in sound quality.

The P3/24 will give a noticeable improvement in sound quality, but obv is a lot more cash.

I would suggest that if your thinking goes along those lines, to book a demo in at a dealer. If you take your Debut 3 along, and get the dealer to dem the P3 against your Debut, you will see if the upgrade is good value for you or not...

A

Anonymous

You could also get a new cartridge now for your debut and then use it on a new turntable if and when funds allow. I've replaced an omb3e with a 2m red on my genie and the sound has definetely improved significantly although tbh I think the new cartridge made the whole setup more susceptible to click and pops etc.

A

Anonymous

just get the next stylus up the om10 which will fit that body

A

Anonymous

What is the difference between the similarly priced OM10 and 2M red?

A

Anonymous

What about sound quality/character? Do both work equally well with debut 3?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts