cartridge suggestions to match system

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
My current system is a Nail CD5x, Unison Research S6 and ProAc Response D28 speakers. I'm in the process of upgrading my Ariston RD11s/SME 3009 Series iii improved fixed head shell that I bought in 1975 but which has been in the bottom of my wardrobe for the past 10 years (this used to be my pride and joy). This is a project to alleviate boredom until summer comes. The arm will shortly be sent to Audio Origami for a rewire. I'm waiting for some parts to come from SRM Tech to add to the turntable and I've already added a new belt. The Unison Reseach has no phono stage so I've purchased a basic one for the moment: a Micromega Mygroov. Depending on the final sound of the system, I may eventually upgrade the tonearm and if still not satisfactory, the turntable.

I would like advice on a suitable cartridge for the system. Most of my albums are from the 1970/1980 period and have not been used for 10 years. I would like a cartridge that has the same attributes to the Naim CD. Good rhythm and detail. I really don't want a warm sounding cartridge because that's a feature of the valve amp. Finally, a cartridge that is quite forgiving to noise on the albums due to their age. The current cartridge is a Supex SM100 mk3. Cheers

Welcome to the forum Richard.

Nice little set-up you have there. Can I take it your current cartridge is not serviceable?

Two other questions that may help us offer advise:- what sort of music do you mainly listen to and what sort of budget did you have in mind for replacement cartridge?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I usually side with Ortofon at the affordable end if you don't fancy going vintage. They are not as panoramic as AT's but more musical and driving with a more solid centre image rather than diffuse.

Ortofon's Black seems a good bet. Highly rated. However, the Shibata stylus is reported to be sensitive to VTA and rake angle/SRA so it would be useful if your arm/headshell allows for adjustment.

It would be what I'd get for that sort of money.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Welcome to the forum Richard.

Nice little set-up you have there. Can I take it your current cartridge is not serviceable?

Two other questions that may help us offer advise:- what sort of music do you mainly listen to and what sort of budget did you have in mind for replacement cartridge?
I listen to most types of music, jazz, opera, pop/rock. I'm not sure if I can get a newsgroups for the cartridge. Budget is up to £400

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
I usually side with Ortofon at the affordable end if you don't fancy going vintage. They are not as panoramic as AT's but more musical and driving with a more solid centre image rather than diffuse.

Ortofon's Black seems a good bet. Highly rated. However, the Shibata stylus is reported to be sensitive to VTA and rake angle/SRA so it would be useful if your arm/headshell allows for adjustment.

It would be what I'd get for that sort of money.
thanks for the advice. I'll certainly try and hear it. As for vintage stuff, I used to have and Audio Technica AT20sla and an Ortofon VMS20fl both of which got lost when I moved home. I've looked at the secondhand price of these and thought I could pick up a new cartridge for the price these seem to command on the internet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts