Cartridge SME series 111

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Was considering replacement for current Linn Basik cartridge on my Ariston RD11 , based on reviews was looking at Grado prestige gold or Goldring 2100.

Would either of these be a good upgrade from what I currently have ?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I have the Grado and a Goldring 2500. Grado has a much richer midrange with a slightly rolled off treble, which the Goldring is more neutral, has better details and more space round the instruments. For folk/acoustic/gentle rock/string quartets I prefer the Gold, for the rest the 2500.

Both sound different from the Linn, which I think is based on an AT cartridge and therefore a bit forward and bouncy in its presentation. Be aware that the Grado has little shielding and is very sensitive to other electrical components; it can hum when getting close to the turntable's motor. The Goldring, on the other hand, doesn't suit all arms - check for compliance with both.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

Having hopefully resolved my belt issues I am now back to looking at a new cartridge for my rdIIs ( not rdII as previously mentioned above).

Having just seen a good review of Shure M97xE does anyone know this cartridge, would it be a good match ? I remember shure/sme used to be a good combination many years ago.

Any other advice warmly welcomed, would be willing to go up to £100.

Thanks for looking.

Shure and SME used to go together in the 70's when they both chased 'trackability' as the holy grail. Keeping in the groove was more important than tonal balance or fidelity to the music. That is the era of your SME III, which I once had with an Ortofon M20FL super, then a Denon DL303 m/c. Both relatively high compliance, suiting the very low mass arm.

Grados used to have quite undamped cantilevers, and if that is still the case, then they might still be a good choice. Unfortunately, £100 is modest for a pickup these days. The Grado Prestige Gold gets good reviews, but lists at £153. The Red 1 is under £100.

The range at your budget is limited, though if you are brave, there are a few good used ones on ebay, for example from folks who recorded ther LPs onto hard drive, then sell on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts