Cartridge Problem :-(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Jason36 said:
OK So I may just be really thick here with the technical knowledge......

If the bottom of my cartridge is horizontal and level with the face of the LP and I add a 1mm or 2mm spacer wont that mean that the arm is pointing down towards the LP and all I have done is moved the front / nose of the cartridge closer to the LP.

Will having the arm of the arm angled downward slightly damage or cause excessive wear on either my stylus or LP's?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head round the techical aspects.

Jay
You've also lifted the part that's bumping with the 180gm pressing plus setting the VTA correctly for the thicker records. Yes, the VTA will be marginally out for records of normal thickness and you'd need to remove the spacer for them. That isn't really feasible given the Rega isn't designed for such continual adjustment.

The wear issue I wouldn't like to comment on, though if it were a problem it would be a lot less than having incorrect VTF - or having the needle bounce up and down because the body is hitting the record.

Give Goldring or Rega a call, I'm sure they'd be able to give you advice.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Jason36 said:

If the bottom of my cartridge is horizontal and level with the face of the LP and I add a 1mm or 2mm spacer wont that mean that the arm is pointing down towards the LP and all I have done is moved the front / nose of the cartridge closer to the LP.

Will having the arm of the arm angled downward slightly damage or cause excessive wear on either my stylus or LP's?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head round the techical aspects.

Jay
You've also lifted the part that's bumping with the 180gm pressing plus setting the VTA correctly for the thicker records. Yes, the VTA will be marginally out for records of normal thickness and you'd need to remove the spacer for them. That isn't really feasible given the Rega isn't designed for such continual adjustment.

The wear issue I wouldn't like to comment on, though if it were a problem it would be a lot less than having incorrect VTF - or having the needle bounce up and down because the body is hitting the record.

Ok a quick update, having spoken to a technical guy over at Goldring.

He has advised that the cartridge base needs to be horizontal to the LP when playing...and that setting this nose or tail down will alter the sound of the cartridge and potentially cause excessive wear. He has also said that I shouldn't need a spacer under the tonearm.

However he has said that it does sound as thought it is sitting to low and that if I send the stylus back to them they will alter it and send it back to me the same day.

Very helpful and it sounds as though this may be the solution required.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Grottyash said:
Jason36 said:

Jay

Ok a quick update, having spoken to a technical guy over at Goldring.

He has advised that the cartridge base needs to be horizontal to the LP when playing...and that setting this nose or tail down will alter the sound of the cartridge and potentially cause excessive wear. He has also said that I shouldn't need a spacer under the tonearm.

However he has said that it does sound as thought it is sitting to low and that if I send the stylus back to them they will alter it and send it back to me the same day.

Very helpful and it sounds as though this may be the solution required.

It couldn't be simple could it! :(

Strange though as the problem I was having was with a Rega Bias 2, anyway hopes this sorts things out :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
But the weird thing it is literally just one of my LP's that is causing the problem.....all my other 180g LP's are fine and play no problem without the cartridge catching.

I have noticed though that the Twilight Singers LP I purchased is quite uneven and the lip wobbles up and down really badly (for a new LP)....maybe I should return it to Amazon and get a replacement.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
But the weird thing it is literally just one of my LP's that is causing the problem.....all my other 180g LP's are fine and play no problem without the cartridge catching.

I have noticed though that the Twilight Singers LP I purchased is quite uneven and the lip wobbles up and down really badly (for a new LP)....maybe I should return it to Amazon and get a replacement.

For the sake of one track on one faulty record? Yes, a lot easier than all the alternative actions.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Jason36 said:

For the sake of one track on one faulty record? Yes, a lot easier than all the alternative actions.

Yep that's exactly what struck me in the pub last night......

A

Anonymous

On the other hand, you could get many more records in the future which have the same problem, so sending back is probably a good idea.

Glad to hear you fouind a solution, though.

Yep. I'd send it back. If you are sure your tracking weight is as it should be then it looks like the cartridges suspension is shot. From your photos it should never be that close to record surface regardless of vinyl weight / thickness

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well the Stylus has been posted back to Goldring today for them to have a look at and sort out.

So that means no vinyl for me for the next few days and I have been relegated back to the CD Player.

On the plus side...hopefully they will sort the stylus out and when it comes back it should play all my vinyl without a problem :)

A

Anonymous

Always pays to have a backup! I have an AT95E which gets pressed into service when things go amiss. It's a bargain, and only 20€ on the thakker website.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Always pays to have a backup! I have an AT95E which gets pressed into service when things go amiss. It's a bargain, and only 20€ on the thakker website.

I still have the Elys 2 cartridge....so if I get desperrate I can always add that back on again.

However goldring said to just send the stylus back so the body is still on the arm at the moment. Depends If I can be bothered fathing with it. and the guy did say he would return it to me the same day he receives it.....he will have it tomorrow so should be back by wednesday...thursday at the latest :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Grottyash said:

I still have the Elys 2 cartridge....so if I get desperrate I can always add that back on again.

However goldring said to just send the stylus back so the body is still on the arm at the moment. Depends If I can be bothered fathing with it. and the guy did say he would return it to me the same day he receives it.....he will have it tomorrow so should be back by wednesday...thursday at the latest :)

Take a well earned rest Jason, you can always listen to some of that old digital stuff if you get bored. :bigsmile:

A

Anonymous

mitch65 said:
Take a well earned rest Jason, you can always listen to some of that old digital stuff if you get bored. :bigsmile:
Come now, Mitch65! It only takes 10 minutes to install and configure a cartridge.
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
mitch65 said:
Come now, Mitch65! It only takes 10 minutes to install and configure a cartridge.
smiley-smile.gif

Yeah but it does also give me the excuse to fire up the Caspian CDP and spin a few new discs I havent got on vinyl. Hmm Nicole Atkins and Fional Apple for me tonight then.....probably followed by a bot of Eva Cassidy :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Yeah but it does also give me the excuse to fire up the Caspian CDP and spin a few new discs I havent got on vinyl. Hmm Nicole Atkins and Fional Apple for me tonight then.....probably followed by a bot of Eva Cassidy :)

Nice! Give 'Criminal' a blast for me. Apple sounds sexy as hell on that track!

A

Anonymous

Interested to know if the problem has been solved. I have the same issue with my linn adikt. Seems like the cantilever is not quite the correct angle and cartridge body touching edge of some records. This is a new cartridge so suspension should be ok.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
avantiguy said:
Interested to know if the problem has been solved. I have the same issue with my linn adikt. Seems like the cantilever is not quite the correct angle and cartridge body touching edge of some records. This is a new cartridge so suspension should be ok.

Yep all sorted now, I sent the cartridge back to Goldring and the adjusted the stylus for me. I know have plent of clearance and no more catching on the LP's.

A

Anonymous

Our experiences of Goldrings on the Planar 3 is that the arm setting is too low. However as the plinth only allows a few threads of the arm pillar to protrude at the base, height adjustment is virtually impossible. Another thing is that Goldrings tend to suffer droopy cantilever suspension as they get older and this, plus the downward angle of the arm, means that they 'bottom out' at the intended tracking weight(1.75g). Obviously Rega cartridges have the shallow profile required, but there are no other makes I can think of that are as low in height.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts