Cartridge Problem :-(

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

So the Goldring has now been on the arm for a couple of days and the music is just getting better and better. It just sounds so much more open than the Elys ever produced...with good all round tonality, especially on female vocals. I think it still has a fair bit of breaking in to do..much initial impressions are good.

However and on a downside.....

The goldring 1042 is a very low sitting cartridge......the actual body of the cartridge sits very very low to the LP...sometime worryingly so.....so I'm not surprised that the inevitable has happened tonight.......

Pulling out a recent delivery of Twilight Singers Dynamite Steps on white 108g vinyl and put it on the deck for a listen.....Yep you guessed...the cartridge body is riding on the vinyl and catching it :-(

Is there anyway I can get over this or will I have to resign myself to the fact that some thicker LP's wont be able to be played with the Goldring on??

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you need to raise/lower your arm at it's base (VTA), so that the arm tube is horizontal when a record is playing.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Neon K said:
Sounds like you need to raise/lower your arm at it's base (VTA), so that the arm tube is horizontal when a record is playing.

The arm is horizontal.....and the cartridge is horizontal with the record, but as mentioned the stylus on the Goldring 1042 isnt very long and so the cartridge body sits very very low to the record...literally mm's of space. I have other 10g LP's that this has never happened on...but on the Twilight Singers LP.....when I lower the stylus down to track one the body is catching the surface of the LP....move it along to track 2 and 3 etc there are no problems...it just seems to be the first track.

The LP is brand new...but it still surprises me how warped and uneven brand new LP's can be.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't know. I ran a G1042 on a Rega Planar 3 for 11 years with no trouble at all. (No mods to the deck either.)

However, I don't recall using any 180gm vinyl in that time.

Are you using the 'standard issue' Rega felt mat or something thicker?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
5619735038_80c2833052.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5022/5619738450_b73e07a2f6.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5229/5619736966_ac91d034af.jpg

Some Picks of the Cartridge

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How are you setting your tracking weight? Balancing arm to zero then dialling in the recommended force on the RB300's own dial (spring loaded force) or leaving the RB300's dial alone and balancing then setting force with Tecnoweight?

The odd thing about the Rega spring-loaded tracking force thingy is that the spring tension is at it's maximum when set to zero (it acts upwards) and as you dial in force it 'relaxes' the spring. (There is minimum spring tension when the dial is set to the maximum setting.)

If you haven't done so already, you may need to check the tracking force with scales or a tracking force gauge.

Just wondering if there is an outside chance you may be doubling up your tracking force unwittingly.

If not, ignore me.

A

Anonymous

Agreed, it looks like tracking weight. Either that, or the suspension has gone.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
How are you setting your tracking weight? Balancing arm to zero then dialling in the recommended force on the RB300's own dial (spring loaded force) or leaving the RB300's dial alone and balancing then setting force with Tecnoweight?

The odd thing about the Rega spring-loaded tracking force thingy is that the spring tension is at it's maximum when set to zero (it acts upwards) and as you dial in force it 'relaxes' the spring. (There is minimum spring tension when the dial is set to the maximum setting.)

If you haven't done so already, you may need to check the tracking force with scales or a tracking force gauge.

Just wondering if there is an outside chance you may be doubling up your tracking force unwittingly.

If not, ignore me.

The RB300 dial is set to maximum (3.5) as recommended by Mitchell and then tracking weight sorted via the Technoweight. Tracking at 2g, measured with digital scales.

From what I can tell its fine after the cartridge body clears the lip of the LP...ie seems to be slightly thicker on the outside edge where the stylus track in on before the music starts.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have just double checked and with a Tecnoweight you should balance the arm/cartridge with the RB300 dial set to maximum (3.5) so there is no spring force. Then set the tracking force with the Tecnoweight only (leaving the RB300 dial set to max number permanently).

[Edit. Sorry was typing that as you posted.]

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I am really racking my brains on this one Jason, I had the same problem with my P3-24. I'm sure it had something to do with the bias slide but unfortunately dementia seems to have set in at the moment. Just out of interest did you use the technoweight to apply the tracking force or the Rega dial?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
oh mate, that does look low, doesn't it? Apart from the boys recommendation of backing off the tracking weight, I don't know what to suggest. Sorry.

EDIT: Actually, I have an idea, but it may be phooey. Some carts are designed to be used with the arm angled forward slightly. If the Goldring is one of them, raising the arm a couple of mm with a spacer would sort it right out, by lifting the back of the cart away from the record.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
I am really racking my brains on this one Jason, I had the same problem with my P3-24. I'm sure it had something to do with the bias slide but unfortunately dementia seems to have set in at the moment. Just out of interest did you use the technoweight to apply the tracking force or the Rega dial?
You are having a senior day, aint ya?
smiley-tongue-out.gif
Jase set the rega dial to max and then used the technoweight to set tracking force
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Jason36 said:
Tracking at 2g, measured with digital scales.

2 grammes is the top of the 1.5 - 2.0 gramme range.

Have you tried Goldring's own recommendation of 1.7 grammes?

Hi Chebby,

On the details I have it says tracking weight of 1.5g to 2.5g....I have tried it at 1.7g still sits just as low...but to my ears it sounds slightly better tracking at 2g.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif
Jase set the rega dial to max and then used the technoweight to set tracking force
smiley-smile.gif

I may be being reeeeeaally thick here but it sounds like Jason has set the tracking force twice

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
mitch65 said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-smile.gif

I may be being reeeeeaally thick here but it sounds like Jason has set the tracking force twice

No Rega dial is set to 3.5g and just using the Technoweight for the tracking force...which I have just changed to 1.7g (still sits just as low).

I think the deck may have to go in and get it checked over and get their opinion.

A

Anonymous

OK, research indicates this is a known problem. You need a spacer to raise the arm. Check with Rega, but this is what they used to advise with the 1042.

If you don't fancy Rega prices, B&Q can probably provide a washer. 2mm should do it.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
OK, research indicates this is a known problem. You need a spacer to raise the arm. Check with Rega, but this is what they used to advise with the 1042. If you don't fancy Rega prices, B&Q can probably provide a washer. 2mm should do it.

Hi Grottyash,

So will that mean that the cartridge will be slightly nose down rather than horizontal.........

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
OK, research indicates this is a known problem. You need a spacer to raise the arm.

Guess I just got lucky for 11 years with my old one then.

But, as I said, I don't recall having any 'audiophile' 180g vinyl (let alone any with an unevenly thick 'lip' at the edge.)

A

Anonymous

If that's a concern, try a 1mm as well. According to the man who makes the Regas, it shouldn't be a problem.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Grottyash said:
OK, research indicates this is a known problem. You need a spacer to raise the arm. Check with Rega, but this is what they used to advise with the 1042. If you don't fancy Rega prices, B&Q can probably provide a washer. 2mm should do it.

I got something right! Woo Hoo!
smiley-smile.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
:p
bretty said:
Grottyash said:

I got something right! Woo Hoo!
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
OK So I may just be really thick here with the technical knowledge......

If the bottom of my cartridge is horizontal and level with the face of the LP and I add a 1mm or 2mm spacer wont that mean that the arm is pointing down towards the LP and all I have done is moved the front / nose of the cartridge closer to the LP.

Will having the arm of the arm angled downward slightly damage or cause excessive wear on either my stylus or LP's?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head round the techical aspects.

Jay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts