Cartridge for Pioneer TT

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Got a bit squiffy at the weekend and ended up buying a Pioneer PL 518x, I will need a cartridge for this and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I bid on the deck not expecting to win but will enjoy having some fun with it , my first TT was a 512.I can always sell it on , I will be using with NAD 370 or Arcam Alpha 9 and B&W speakers.

Most vinyl 70's based rock, soul, reggae with smatterings of jazz and classical, musical is prefered over analytical if you know what I mean !

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I got the turntable set up yesterday and it came with an Ortofon VMS20E MkII cartridge and the deck works a treat and plays beautifully well.

I think I may have had a VMS 15 many many years ago but I am tempted to get a Shure MX 97e, does anyone know how this might compare with the VMS 20 ?

Thanks again for any thoughts, much appreciated.

Shanka said:
I got the turntable set up yesterday and it came with an Ortofon VMS20E MkII cartridge and the deck works a treat and plays beautifully well.

I think I may have had a VMS 15 many many years ago but I am tempted to get a Shure MX 97e, does anyone know how this might compare with the VMS 20 ?

Thanks again for any thoughts, much appreciated.

I was going to mention Shure. Many years ago a friend used to have a Pioneer TT with a Shure (can't remember which model) and the two worked well together. Otherwise I'd be looking at Goldring.

The Shure MX 97 is a brilliant budget cartridge. I recently set one up on my brother's deck. It is very smooth in presentation and I would think it much better than the old VMS in being not quite so 'toppy' as I recall the VMS20 could be.

Agree Goldrings offer another avenue and would also suggest similar priced Grado Prestige as another option that will be better than the VMS20 which was good in it's day but has long since been surpassed.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the info, I remember considering the Grado prestige for my RD11s, I think it was the gold version, I am leaning towards the Shure as have never heard one but remember them being highly regarded many years ago.

How would the presentation compare between the Grado and the Shure, any views.?

Thanks again

Shanka said:
Hi, Thanks for the info, I remember considering the Grado prestige for my RD11s, I think it was the gold version, I am leaning towards the Shure as have never heard one but remember them being highly regarded many years ago. How would the presentation compare between the Grado and the Shure, any views.? Thanks again

i wish I could help you. Soon after buying my Michell I bought the Shure from a US store at a bargain price. But once the Grado had run in I couldn't be bothered to change it! Very much better than my expectations, it was fitted by the dealer just to check out the tt!

My Grado is the lowest of the low, though Black reminds me of Koetsu - in name at least. Frankly either would be good, though I reckon the Shure is likely to be more robust.

i had a VMS20 in the day, and recall it being pretty mellow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts