Trying to improve my music listening experience... And ofc, on a budget :/

d0sk3y

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone :)

I'm trying to find a way to make the most of my audio CDs and vinyls, while still on a pretty tight budget.

I currently own the following:

- Technics SU-V500 amp (bad, i know), which I will gladly get rid of for a not-too-pricey amp (maybe a Pioneer A-717MK2 ?)

- Technics SL-PG370A Cd-player (also bad, I know) - this one I will also gladly get rid of, should someone be able to give me some good advice on a good-value budget CD-player - maybe Pioneer? I would like to have them all matching, brand-wise

- A Pioneer PL-335 TT, just got this one, it has an AT cartridge, it sounds pretty good for the 70 bucks I paid for it - I'm still a vinyl newbie. The spin speed is alright, it doesn't have any problems

- A pair of Pioneer HPM-700 Speakers (a spinoff of the HPM-100), mint condition (original speakers/drivers) - These I would definitely keep, I have heard them on a Pioneer C90 + M90, they were really great! Maybe mod the crossovers?

I would kindly ask anyone willing to give me some advice as to how I could alter/change my setup in order to get a good budget sound to make some recommendations regarding what to buy and how to combine them (incl. a good cartridge for the TT). The main reason I'm willing to invest is the vinyl issue, just bought a "truckload" of vinyls from Germany (nice old-school rock albums ftw!)

Thank you very much for any advice.

Best,

d0sk3y

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Well, 200 quid-ish sounds pretty good.. Any specific amp/pre combo come to mind?

Also, are the HPMs worth keeping?

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
d0sk3y said:
Hello! Well, 200 quid-ish sounds pretty good.. Any specific amp/pre combo come to mind?

Also, are the HPMs worth keeping?

Are these your speakers? If so they look Awesome. http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?70021-Pioneer-HPM-700-refurb-%96-all-done!

No I mean they're rubbish I'll give you a fiver for them. :)

200 all in there's a Marantz PM5004 Amplifier at 159 and the cambridge audio azur 551p @69, it would take you to 230, Something along those lines? what do ya'all think.

d0sk3y

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Alright, good thoughts :) I might just start looking for those :)

And as for the speakers, rubbish, are they? Well, then maybe I can switch them out for something else. I just meant that they did sound great on the Pioneer M and C combo, which made me hope they could face such a challenge. Should I fold them, then?

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
TBH I've never had the pleasure of hearing your speakers but they look impressive. I'd hang on to them till you get a new amp at least. Think about taking your TT along to your dealer when demoing your amp so you can try it out with some speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts