Cartridge Choice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sounds good Mr Hughes!

Quick question from the experts, I've got a Project Debut II, which doesn't appear to have much in the way of adjustment (the tracking weight is done by a small lump of metal on the end of a bit of string for example!), would I get much benefit from upgrading the cartridge on one of those? And is it possible to get the most from a cartridge if it does require a different tracking weight or whatever those other things were that you can adjust (I have no idea what I'm talking about!)?

T

the record spot

The anti-skate and tracking force weights or guages can be toyed with but really only to a certain extent; each manufacturer has a recommended limit within which their cartridge should be deployed on an arm, although this differs between each. Most commonly, you'd expect a tracking force of around 1.5grams, but this isn't set in stone as I say.

As to a cartridge upgrade, yes, you will notice a difference, but this depends what cartridge you already have on there now, how much you are looking to spend (the caveat to this is you don't want to spend too much as there's a limit to the return you'll get from the deck - I'd avoid slapping an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B on it given it's about £700, for instance!

Absolute max, I'd go no further than an Audio Technica AT440MLa, more likely look to spend between £50-£90 and if you are on a REALLY tight budget, then £15 gets you the venerable Nagaoka MP11, whilst £25 gets you an Audio Technica AT95E (or it might be the 110E, I can;t recall which).

£35 takes you into Goldring Elektra territory which is an excellent little cartridge for the money (used to have one on an old Thorens deck years ago) and £60 gets you an Ortofon 2M Red. The benefit of cartridges like the 2M Red are you can remove the stylus and upgrade to the 2M Blue when you upgrade the deck (the cartridge body will accept this). Doesn't apply to all though and many you need to take out the entire cartridge and replace anew.

In terms of a turntable upgrade, many people rate the Project and Rega ranges, but for me, the Rega P2 is superb VFM, the P3-24 moreso as both give you a real taste of hi-fi for a fairly minimal outlay. Plenty of time for that though!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:The anti-skate and tracking force weights or guages can be toyed with but really only to a certain extent; each manufacturer has a recommended limit within which their cartridge should be deployed on an arm, although this differs between each. Most commonly, you'd expect a tracking force of around 1.5grams, but this isn't set in stone as I say.

I guess what I meant was how would you actually adjust these weights on a Pro-Ject Debut II, given that it's just a weight on a bit of string?

As to a cartridge upgrade, yes, you will notice a difference, but this depends what cartridge you already have on there now,

No idea, whatever the Debut II came with out of the box? I thought that was an Ortofon of some description?

how much you are looking to spend (the caveat to this is you don't want to spend too much as there's a limit to the return you'll get from the deck - I'd avoid slapping an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B on it given it's about £700, for instance!

Well quite.

Absolute max, I'd go no further than an Audio Technica AT440MLa, more likely look to spend between £50-£90 and if you are on a REALLY tight budget, then £15 gets you the venerable Nagaoka MP11, whilst £25 gets you an Audio Technica AT95E (or it might be the 110E, I can;t recall which).

£35 takes you into Goldring Elektra territory which is an excellent little cartridge for the money (used to have one on an old Thorens deck years ago) and £60 gets you an Ortofon 2M Red.

How much is the AT440 then?

The benefit of cartridges like the 2M Red are you can remove the stylus and upgrade to the 2M Blue when you upgrade the deck (the cartridge body will accept this). Doesn't apply to all though and many you need to take out the entire cartridge and replace anew.

In terms of a turntable upgrade, many people rate the Project and Rega ranges, but for me, the Rega P2 is superb VFM, the P3-24 moreso as both give you a real taste of hi-fi for a fairly minimal outlay. Plenty of time for that though!

Yeah I can't really do a deck upgrade just yet, the missus will notice something like that, but I can sneak a new cartridge in without her spotting it!
emotion-4.gif

Are these cartridges MM or MC? It's the Debut II Phono SB, so I don't know if the built-in phono stage is limited limited to one or the other?

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:
Sounds good Mr Hughes!

Quick question from the experts, I've got a Project Debut II, which doesn't appear to have much in the way of adjustment (the tracking weight is done by a small lump of metal on the end of a bit of string for example!), would I get much benefit from upgrading the cartridge on one of those? And is it possible to get the most from a cartridge if it does require a different tracking weight or whatever those other things were that you can adjust (I have no idea what I'm talking about!)?

The bit of metal on a string is the Anti skate weight, tracking force is adjusted at the back of the tone arm. I'd always suggest upgrading the cartridge and TRS is right, spend a proportionate amount on your new cart. Stay with moving magnet rather than moving coil, otherwise you will also need to change the platter, but your Debut can be adjusted to suit most cartridges.

A

Anonymous

I recently got a Genie 2 but it only has the metal weight to adjust tracking force, I'm also considering upgrading my cartridge as the mrs won't notice
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why are you all hoping that your cartridge upgrades (or any upgrades for that matter) will go unnoticed by your wives?

I never get this.

If the bills are all paid and the kids are shod and there is food in the larder/fridge and petrol in the car, then who gives a toss if you want to spend some hard-earned money on something for your hobby? Something that is actually MORE likely to keep you indoors for longer. (Unless that is it, and she wants you to have hobbies that keep you away!)

John Duncan

Well I suppose it depends on how pointless and stupid your other half thinks your hobbies are. When I met my wife she had one CD (New Romantic Classics) and nothing to play it on, which may give you an idea of where music sits in her priorities.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Henley:the_lhc:
Sounds good Mr Hughes!

The bit of metal on a string is the Anti skate weight, tracking force is adjusted at the back of the tone arm.

Oh right, ok, I'd not noticed that that was adjustable, not that I've ever looked, is it marked for weight on the Debut II, I don't remember seeing any numbers on there or do you need a gauge and just adjust it until it reads the right amount?

I'd always suggest upgrading the cartridge and TRS is right, spend a proportionate amount on your new cart.

You're the Pro-Ject distributors aren't you? What would you suggest would be the best cartridge for the Debut II Phono? I don't mind spending up to about £100 or so on it, anymore than that would be a little silly but mainly I'm looking for the best ratio of price to performance, given the cost of the abilities of the deck.

Stay with moving magnet rather than moving coil, otherwise you will also need to change the platter, but your Debut can be adjusted to suit most cartridges.

So platter aside the Debut II Phono's phono stage can accept moving coil cartridges? I won't get one I'm just curious really.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Why are you all hoping that your cartridge upgrades (or any upgrades for that matter) will go unnoticed by your wives?

I never get this.

If the bills are all paid and the kids are shod and there is food in the larder/fridge and petrol in the car, then who gives a toss if you want to spend some hard-earned money on something for your hobby? Something that is actually MORE likely to keep you indoors for longer. (Unless that is it, and she wants you to have hobbies that keep you away!)

Well, there IS food in the fridge and petrol in the car but both of them are broken right now, AND the boiler needs seeing to (I mean the thing that provides the central heating before anyone says anything...) AND the bathroom roof needs fixing, so I guess she's going to consider these priorities over a new turntable. It doesn't matter that I can afford to do ALL of them, if I do them in the wrong order I'm in trouble!

Although I still had to take her watch in to get it fixed of course...

Happily the kids (hers not mine) have all left home, so they're not my problem!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts