Car boot bargains.

floydlgd

Jan 21, 2005
Visit site
Just got back from a local car boot sale clutching just over 30 albums. I spent a total of £12.20. What a complete bargain! This includes a near mint Hotel California. A mint Roger waters and an also mint copy of U2's Unforgettable fire amongst others!

So I wondered if you guys had picked up any vinyl bargains recently?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
not a bargin but i have bought my first brand new lp

love -forever changes re-issue 180g at £14.99 i thought was ok cant wait to get it on later.

up till now my first week of owning a TT has gave me 5 s'hand lps

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A while back I bought a mint condition original copy of Rory Gallagher's first self titled LP for 50p. Absolutely pristine. Best bargain I've picked up at a car boot.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Not at a carboot, but a couple of the remastered Kraftwerk LPs (Man Machine and Trans Europe Express) from last year on Mute, still sealed for a fiver a pop.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
floydlgd:
Just got back from a local car boot sale clutching just over 30 albums. I spent a total of £12.20. What a complete bargain! This includes a near mint Hotel California. A mint Roger waters and an also mint copy of U2's Unforgettable fire amongst others!

So I wondered if you guys had picked up any vinyl bargains recently?

That sure is a bargain! Am now thinking of going to the local car boot tomorrow morning - if I can manage to get out of bed early enough!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
just opened up my new love album and the hole looked awful in the middle and there was a slight light patch that hinders the first 30 seconds. But once i put it on it sounded really good. Very quite though around 1-2 oclock compared to the boss,queen,paul simon they have been around 11 and cd/spotify is around 9 is that normal.

then turned over after track6 and started to fall asleep when i thought *** i put a goodfellas pizza in at 7.30pm now my whole flat could be a fire training room lol.

looks like the chippy and i another listen to love forever changes.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I've been using charity shops for S/H vinyl - but some do charge up to £2 - and often they may have scratches - so I do also go to a local S/H record shop where the prices start at £2 for records in excellent condition.

S/H shop...

I got Steve Miller Band "Book of Dreams", Eagles "The Long Run", Supertramp "Breakfast in America", Stevie Ray Vaughan "Texas Flood" - £2 each

Then I splashed out on "With the Beatles" for £10 - as it was the 1st LP I bought when I was 13 (and someone took the original one 40 years ago)

Charity shop (all in excellent condition) ...

Van Morrison "No Guru No Method No Teacher", Gerry & The Pacemakers "The Very Best Of", Neville Marriner "Vivaldi 4 Seasons" - £1 each

I also got a new double LP Stevie Ray Vaughan "Couldn't Stand the Weather" from HMV online for £6 - and when it came it was a 180g pressing!

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I couple of years ago I managed to pickup a mint copy of Dog Man Star by Suede for 3 pounds from a local charity shop. Oxfam have discovered in recent years that vinyl can be worth a lot of money and have there own record shops.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Picked up 11 LP's at a car boot fair this morning for £8.50. No particular classics, but a good assortment of 80's stuff to help widen the variety of the vinyl collection. Will definitely be checking out a few more boot fairs over the coming months!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting a bit fed up shopping for vinyl, new or used. I love vinyl, the sound is fabulous, it's not a problem with the technology, the problem is I spend hours in record or charity shops, looking for something to buy and nearly always come out empty handed.

I'm really happy that a lot of current artists are releasing their stuff on vinyl again, trouble is, I don't really like much modern stuff! Rooster Records in Exeter has a load of new releases and I typically spend 30 minutes flicking through there and usually draw a blank. It mostly seems to be guitar bands but I find them boring (am I the only person who doesn't like the Arctic Monkeys?) or obscure stuff I've never heard of, so I'm not going to buy that just on the off-chance.

Then there's older stuff, I don't really like anything from the 70s and not a great deal from the 60s, my favourite decade is the 80s but the quality of vinyl back then was largely rubbish so I avoid S/H stuff. There are some reissues, the Kraftwerk stuff looks great but I can't convince myself that I actually like it enough to bother paying the money for it, I like it but I don't love it. I'd probably listen to it once and then it'll never see the light of day again (I do that a lot).

Trouble is I've always been very focused in respect of what I consider "good". I think I've mentioned that when I was a teenager the first music I bought was PWEI and I almost didn't listen to anything else for the best part of 5 years; I dabbled in metal, simply because I liked the sound of heavy guitars but that by itself wasn't enough, so I dropped it but even at my most enthusiastic I don't think I listened to more than a dozen bands and was frequently perplexed at the popularity of the biggest bands of the day. I went through an 80s period, largely out of nostalgia (my sister listened to a lot of it when I was a kid, so it was familiar) and I still like it now but largely because the early electronic groups made interesting noises and had the best basslines. I thought maybe it was the electronic noises I liked, so I bought Little Boots and La Roux, they're ok but if I'm honest it just doesn't have the same appeal. I also bought the last Goldfrapp album but it's very one-dimensional and the latest one from Hot Chip but to be honest, I can't even summon up the enthusiasm to bother listening to it, I haven't even unwrapped it yet!

These days I'm borderline obsessive about Medeski, Martin and Wood, again because John Medeski makes a fabulous noise with his organ (...) but I've now got pretty much everything they've done and I can't get into anyone else in that kind of genre, it just doesn't seem to tick the same boxes.

So I don't really buy anything these days. I did get a retrospective CD of Les Paul the other day, there's a couple of beautiful tracks on there but really I'm more in awe of what he achieved on such primitive equipment than actually enjoying the songs.

How am I supposed to go about buying music when I've no idea what I like or even if I actually like music at all?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like (forgive the pun) you need to rediscover your love for music! I must say leaving the latest Hot Chip LP in its rapper and not having the enthusiasm to listen to it may mean it's really not your thing. Or your just being lazy. If it's as good as the first album then you'll be in for a treat.
I'm listening to The Doors at the moment which i picked up yesterday and i couldn't wait to get it on this morning.

Back to your love of music, maybe a weekend at a festival (or a day at least), most of them cater for all type's of music even orchestral stuff at some. Could that get excitement back?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:It sounds like (forgive the pun) you need to rediscover your love for music!

Perhaps, but I'm now questioning whether I've ever had a love of music or was it just a mild "like"?

I must say leaving the latest Hot Chip LP in its rapper and not having the enthusiasm to listen to it may mean it's really not your thing.

Well, I bought it because I heard One Life Stand and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd check it out (it was only £7.99 in HMV, so seemed worth a punt).

Or your just being lazy.

It could well be, but I think there's more to it than that, I think, not having heard anything else on the album I'm reluctant to try it out in case I discover I've wasted my money.

If it's as good as the first album then you'll be in for a treat.

Ah, good, well that's encouraging, perhaps I'll put it in the car and listen to it tomorrow. Actually thinking about it it's in the door of the car now, I put it in to listen to when we drove down to Cornwall last week and never got round to it

I'm listening to The Doors at the moment which i picked up yesterday and i couldn't wait to get it on this morning.

I went through a bit of a Doors period some time back, although it largely consisted of buying a greatest hits tape and listening to that pretty constantly, it's passed into what I think of as part of my general subconscious, where I'm so familiar with the sounds that I don't really have to listen to it anymore, there's a few different things in there. Next do quite a cool Doors t-shirt at the moment incidentally, although being Next it's a stupid amount of money!

Back to your love of music, maybe a weekend at a festival (or a day at least), most of them cater for all type's of music even orchestral stuff at some. Could that get excitement back?

I'd love it if you were right but the idea of festivals leaves me cold (I suspect it's the camping though to be frank), I almost considered going to Bestival last year because I liked the idea of about 10% of the line-up but managed to prevaricate my way out of it, the missus' kids go to a couple every year and I know she'd love to go but I always manage to find an excuse not to (Sorry dear, but I'm intending to have a wash that weekend...). I went to the original V festival (1995?) and I've never been so bored in my entire life, even back then as Radio 1's target audience I didn't like any of the bands in the line-up, apart from Gary Numan and he doesn't play Cars anymore! That seems to have set my mindset ever since.

I know there MUST be stuff out there I like, I've found it before on at least two occasions but where do you start? I wish Sonos would get on with their Spotify integration, that would probably help a lot! Is it still invite only?

daveh75

the_lhc:I wish Sonos would get on with their Spotify integration, that would
probably help a lot! Is it still invite only? Spotify is still invite only, but i'm sure someone will oblige should you want an invite( i would but i've used all mine).

Failing that you could always buy yourself an Spotify e voucher for 1 months subscription, then after it's expired your account will revert back to Spotify Free.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
I'd love it if you were right but the idea of festivals leaves me cold

There's always a hotel! A group of us went to the Isle of Wight festival a few years back and saw Rolling Stones and that was a lovely weekend weather wise and it had showers on site. There is also a nice pub a 10 minutes drive away which has shower facilities and does some great food also. We went the following year and it was like it is now, cold with added rain, not pleasant.
We ended going to Reading last year and stayed in a local hotel because of the previous years experience with the british weather which is the way to do it. Hot showers, warm beds and a cooked breakfast and good weather and music to boot. We're doing the same thing this year on the friday and saturday if you fancy a day out!

I'm sure someone will sort you out with a Spotify invite they were flying around hear like two a penny not long ago.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:the_lhc:I'd love it if you were right but the idea of festivals leaves me cold

There's always a hotel! A group of us went to the Isle of Wight festival a few years back and saw Rolling Stones and that was a lovely weekend weather wise and it had showers on site. There is also a nice pub a 10 minutes drive away which has shower facilities and does some great food also. We went the following year and it was like it is now, cold with added rain, not pleasant. We ended going to Reading last year and stayed in a local hotel because of the previous years experience with the british weather which is the way to do it. Hot showers, warm beds and a cooked breakfast and good weather and music to boot.

This is true, although you have to get in pretty early to get in around the festivals, especially on the Isle of Wight, we looked at it last year but again weren't quick enough.

We're doing the same thing this year on the friday and saturday if you fancy a day out!I'm sure someone will sort you out with a Spotify invite they were flying around hear like two a penny not long ago.

Yes I remember seeing them, I think JD had a few, probably all gone now...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc

If you know about this already then pleaese ignore this.

If you get a Spotify invite sorted got to a website called Spotibot. You type in a band you like and it will give you a playlist of between 5 and 50 songs. You can then just drag it over to your Spotify playlists and listen away till something catches your attention.

Ive discovered lots of new music through it. Or you could use Spotibot to get a playlist and search manually on last FM or something like that.

A

Anonymous

Th, there's also the FM/DAB radio and internet radio too. Try listening to some Latin American jazz or some German rock.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Th, there's also the FM/DAB radio

Not where I live there isn't! I've spent the last week trying to tune the bedroom radio into Radio 4, with no success, DAB is just a memory of a distant echo... (ooooooh, poncey...)

and internet radio too.

Yeah I can get that through the Sonos, trouble is there's so much of it! And half the names only tell you where they're from, rather than what they're actually playing.

Try listening to some Latin American jazz

I'd probably find something there I liked.

or some German rock.

Hmmm, not so much...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Completely OT, but I have 3 spotify invites available. If anyone wants one, add a post asking Andrew / other mods to give you my email, then send me a mail from the email address you want the invite sent to.

FAO Andrew or other WHFSV mods - I'm happy for my address to be given out to posters on this thread.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Completely OT, but I have 3 spotify invites available. If anyone wants one, add a post asking Andrew / other mods to give you my email, then send me a mail from the email address you want the invite sent to. FAO Andrew or other WHFSV mods - I'm happy for my address to be given out to posters on this thread.

Ooooooh, go on then, I'll have one! Fanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts