Canned Headphones £100-£200

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys!

Looking into purchasing my first set of real canned headphones, and was looking for some advice on what models are out there for my price range, ive had a look around and seen a few (AKG550,Shure SRH940) but just wanting some audio knowledge input!

Primarly will be used for PC , but in the odd situation used in a Ipod.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!

Many Thanks,

Jack
smiley-smile.gif

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you want super comfy ones that go around the ears or would you prefer them to be small for transport?

Do you need good isolation or would you prefer a more open soundstage?

Do you prefer bass or detail or would you like a balance?

Hmm what else... I think that will do for now.

idc

I would recommend budgeting in a portable amp/DAC for use with both ipod and PC.

Some examples are

http://www.russandrews.com/product-Fireye-II-USB-DAC-4626.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6

When you say you have seen a few headphones, are you able to audition them?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
idc said:
I would recommend budgeting in a portable amp/DAC for use with both ipod and PC.

Good point idc, I agree a portable DAC/amp could be squeezed in to the budget for big benefits. However for the money we're dealing with here the DAC section wont work with the ipod, only the amp section will and not with either of the two above suggestions. Both the Fireye II and the Fiio E10 are USB only (connection and power) thus will only work as a DAC/amp combo connected to a computer - they will not work with an ipod at all.

For a DAC + amp to use with a computer and a portable amp with a battery for use with any pmp an easy option would be the Fiio E7 (£47), or possibly the Fiio E17 (£99). Not much else combines all these functions and has the same price/quality ratio as Fiio imo but there are other options. iBasso and Nuforce make similar devices.

A

Anonymous

Be aware Richer Sounds are selling AKG K550's for £179. Thats a fair chunk cheaper than the theoretical £250 price. Put the savings towards a DAC/headphone amp.

Have been looking at the AKG's myself, but as brought a pair of beyerdynamic T50p's only a year or sp ago, the other half would kill me for buying yet another pair of headphones :)

A

Anonymous

I really like some of the Phiaton range of headphones, own the PS500 myself and can't fault them,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phiaton-Audiophile-Concert-hall-Quality-Headphones/dp/B001EUHMTW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338402189&sr=8-2

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've owned Philips Stretch, Sennheiser PX-100, PX-100ii, PX-200ii, v-moda M80, Phiaton MS-400, Beyer DT-1350, Philips L1, Shure 940, 1440, 1840, German Maestro 8.35D, Grado PS500, quite a few others.

Starting at the bottom, the PX-200ii with a specific iPod EQ can sound as good as a Phiaton MS-400 or v-moda M80, so there is my recommendation for cheapest entry in real hi-fi sound. And for these three headphones, an amp will make only a subtle difference at home, and none in portable use.

Moving up from good hi-fi to a cleaner, clearer sound with more detail, the Philips L1 with bass reduction, or the Shure 1440 with my recommended earcup mod will provide 98.5 percent of the quality of the best headphones. These two will play fine with iPods as long as your music tracks have good volume. 'Fine' means the freq. response will be the same as with a headphone amp, but with very slightly less clarity and "space" than you get with a good amp.

A

Anonymous

Audio Technica ATH-M50S. Superb.
smiley-smile.gif
My new babies and currently running in. Very impressed with the detail and bass.

A

Anonymous

I'd be very surprised if you don't love these.....
smiley-cool.gif
Do report in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts