Can you tell the difference between 8bit and 16bit music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
AlbaBrown said:
With well produced recordings, the people who can hear the difference generally have well sorted, and genuinely well balanced hifi systems.

Or that's at least my experience. If anyone disagrees, shoot me.

sorry, but that's crap. There you go, you've been shot. :grin:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
That song has almost no dynamic range (4db apparently) and is full of electronic noises rather than intsruments. I think it's been chosen deliberately to make the test as hard as possible. I haven't bothered trying it properly for that reason.

I agree that this noise (I can't bring myself to call Gangham Style music) was deliberately chosen because it's a typical case of modern low quality pop which makes it difficult to tell the difference. It's certainly not a very serious test but it does show that even with 8 bit music it's harder to tell the difference than some people would expect.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
:rofl: You guys are a riot. Obviosly the test is a joke but here is a serious question for everyone. :grin:

Knowing that for decades the standard in recording studios was 16bit/44.1kHz and today it is 24/96, is everything sold as high resolution audio above 24/96 (including SACD) a scam? Are they selling us just remastered upsampled 16/44.1 or even lower res - master tapes and vinyl?

I understand if a recording made in 24/96 is then downsampled to 16/44.1 and sold as a CD or sold as HD audio in the original 24/96, but selling it as DSD (5.6MHz)?

Thoughts?

:?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts