Can you delete your Own profile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
why you, Quest, are who you are. You're obviously very passionate about music and hi-fi, ( probably other stuff too ) and that to me is a wonderful place to be. Passion can be misplaced sometimes though as effecting a single-minded position where only what you have and your view on 'that' matters, and I've been there myself many many times. Sometimes this standpoint can seem a bit bullish but it's just the passion and adrenalin flowing which is being misinterpreted as you're trying to give advice. I enjoy reading your posts as I do most others but yours have an edge to them, a positive one at that. I'm not trying to persuade you to stay or go, but I don't see why your enthusiasm should make you consider such a thing. Just trying to be pragmatic about it all.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
How about this one between two musical fidelity amps of same series. See if you can see which ones more expensive

Two tranformers.
How much does a transformer cost I wonder?

An Audionote one is £126 according to Google

Edit. Just noticed extra power caps too, 6 for £126.
Add a few quids worth of cable & solder. An hour or two labour to fit them in, say £25?

So what is the difference in price?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Photos are fine.

They are but these potentially prove nothing. It's quite easy to stuff a case full inexpensive components that are badly put together. More is not better, necessarily.

Ok. Then I should have said ‘photos are visible’.

I didn’t mean to comment on their content merely that I can see them. (In response to bigboss.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Forum: a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Nuff said. Say whatever you want about hifi mate.

Freedom of speech.

Say what you like about the subject under discussion and prepare to be called out when you post a load of twaddle.

If you can't handle that then time to do a 'flounce'.

The is one of the most easygoing forums that I post on or read, very polite.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Forum: a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

More often.
Forum. A place to state your opinion as though it were fact & to insult people or sulk if they don't agree with you. :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:

Freedom of speech.

Say what you like about the subject under discussion and prepare to be called out when you post a load of twaddle.

Well said.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gaz37 said:
How about this one between two musical fidelity amps of same series. See if you can see which ones more expensive

Two tranformers. How much does a transformer cost I wonder?

Edit. Just noticed extra power caps too, 6 for £126. Add a few quids worth of cable & solder. An hour or two labour to fit them in, say £25?

you say they are full of similar components, then someone posts sets of pictures which show totally different components, then you’ve got to get online to check your prices. Lol. No thought of the fact the reason it’s expensive, is the market is small, and costs of setting up hi Fi business. No that’s right, you just need a soldering iron and it should be £99.99. Of course.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Gazzip said:

More often. Forum. A place to state your opinion as though it were fact & to insult people or sulk if they don't agree with you. :)

Indeed. Although stating ones opinion and not believing it to be fact would be a bit weird, no? On that basis not defending said opinion would be even weirder.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
How about this one between two musical fidelity amps of same series. See if you can see which ones more expensive

Edit. Just noticed extra power caps too, 6 for £126. Add a few quids worth of cable & solder. An hour or two labour to fit them in, say £25?

you say they are full of similar components, then someone posts sets of pictures which show totally different components, then you’ve got to get online to check your prices. Lol. No thought of the fact the reason it’s expensive, is the market is small, and costs of setting up hi Fi business. No that’s right, you just need a soldering iron and it should be £99.99. Of course. 

Can you point out any radically different components between the two pictures?
Yes there are more of them in one than the other, but the principle is the same, the quantity of components or labour involved in fitting them does not justify a significant difference in manufacturing cost.
As virtually ALL amps (of the same class, ie valve, integrated etc) work on the same principle of operation there's not a lot to do in terms of design or research & development, so why does one cost considerably (I assume) more than the other?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gazzip said:
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:

Freedom of speech.

Well said.

Where there is a put down........you are the only one that posts twaddle Davedotco. You to me are the archetypal arrogant sounding know it all ex hi Fi owner who’s got his head so far in a jam jar and stuck in his way, you wouldn’t know great hi Fi from average. And the stuff you own is frankly well below what lots of people own on here, but yet you come accross as trying to be an expert at all levels to the amusement of others. You even admitted you wouldn’t help people in your shop answering questions, if you didn’t think them serious. That to me sounds like someone who has no enthusiasm and interest in hi Fi. If you had a hi Fi shop I wouldn’t buy from you on general principle because you sound like a very arrogant man and the sort of person that’s too common in the hard sell arena of hi Fi. In fact if you didn’t answer any of my questions I’d be straight out. You also sound very embeterred and I sense with your attitudes it didn’t work out, and if that’s the case I wonder why.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gaz37 said:
Gaz37 said:
How about this one between two musical fidelity amps of same series. See if you can see which ones more expensive

you say they are full of similar components, then someone posts sets of pictures which show totally different components, then you’ve got to get online to check your prices. Lol. No thought of the fact the reason it’s expensive, is the market is small, and costs of setting up hi Fi business. No that’s right, you just need a soldering iron and it should be £99.99. Of course.

Can you point out any radically different components between the two pictures? Yes there are more of them in one than the other, but the principle is the same, the quantity of components or labour involved in fitting them does not justify a significant difference in manufacturing cost. As virtually ALL amps (of the same class, ie valve, integrated etc) work on the same principle of operation there's not a lot to do in terms of design or research & development, so why does one cost considerably (I assume) more than the other?

if you find out what they are you’d realise -dac boards, power supplies, filtering stages, balanced and unbalanced sections. I think your comments on this are very ignorant. Development costs in hi Fi can be significant, and hundreds of thousands of pounds. That’s what cyrus spent on CD players in the development of their servo evolution players when the 6 and 8 cd models came in 5-6 years ago. They had loads of problems they had to put right. If you haven’t realised manufacturers are in a competitive market and if they don’t invest, someone else will, and they will loose their advantage if you start buying a different amp Because it’s better at its price as someone else has invested. They have to recoup investment costs. The costs on hi Fi firms that make these small outputs are huge. Read the accounts for naim or Cyrus. They don’t make a lot of money after all this.

And amps aren’t something you just pull off a production line. If you look at the circuits of one manufacturer there will be a lot of variation between dacs, quality of components, power supply design, class type and typography, dac design etc. This is what you are paying for in the two - their design. There are a huge number of different variations. They will know the design right down to the circuit.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:

Freedom of speech.

Well said.

Where there is a put down........you are the only one that posts twaddle Davedotco. You to me are the archetypal arrogant sounding know it all ex hi Fi owner who’s got his head so far in a jam jar and stuck in his way, you wouldn’t know great hi Fi from average. And the stuff you own is frankly well below what lots of people own on here, but yet you come accross as trying to be an expert at all levels to the amusement of others. You even admitted you wouldn’t help people in your shop answering questions, if you didn’t think them serious. That to me sounds like someone who has no enthusiasm and interest in hi Fi. If you had a hi Fi shop I wouldn’t buy from you on general principle because you sound like a very arrogant man and the sort of person that’s too common in the hard sell arena of hi Fi. In fact if you didn’t answer any of my questions I’d be straight out. You also sound very embeterred and I sense with your attitudes it didn’t work out, and if that’s the case I wonder why. 

Kinda proves my definition of a forum to be correct.

insider9

Gazzip said:
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:

Freedom of speech.

Well said.

Where there is a put down........you are the only one that posts twaddle Davedotco. You to me are the archetypal arrogant sounding know it all ex hi Fi owner who’s got his head so far in a jam jar and stuck in his way, you wouldn’t know great hi Fi from average. And the stuff you own is frankly well below what lots of people own on here, but yet you come accross as trying to be an expert at all levels to the amusement of others. You even admitted you wouldn’t help people in your shop answering questions, if you didn’t think them serious. That to me sounds like someone who has no enthusiasm and interest in hi Fi. If you had a hi Fi shop I wouldn’t buy from you on general principle because you sound like a very arrogant man and the sort of person that’s too common in the hard sell arena of hi Fi. In fact if you didn’t answer any of my questions I’d be straight out. You also sound very embeterred and I sense with your attitudes it didn’t work out, and if that’s the case I wonder why. 
*shok*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
That’s it I will avoid you from now on quest your a very nasty person there no need to insult other members of this forum *diablo*

That’s kind of the rules which you follow. Get put down and you do the same, and people have a breaking point.....referring to me as saying twaddle.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
That’s it I will avoid you from now on quest your a very nasty person there no need to insult other members of this forum *diablo*

That’s kind of the rules which you follow. Get put down and you do the same, and people have a breaking point.....

The bigger man walks away from it. You can have a discussion, banter, even an argument, but resort to insults and you are just a loser.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Otco or whoever he is insults me on every single post I’ve made for some time, when I’m being perfectly respectful and debating and as I say I have a breaking point. Same with that andrewjvt guy, daveh75 told me to F off because I pulled him up insulting someone else, and very few on here called it out!

It seems to me otco has limited nouse, that’s why insults by him have to happen. If you disrespect someone referring to me as he did in his post above which is clearly designed as a put down, as most of his are, and it’s incessant, he can expect a response. I will respond to idiots in the same way if pushed, as most will.

Sometimes the only way to deal with idiots is that which they meat out.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If I was you Keyboard Warrior (Quest) I would now be logging out for the night, putting my feet up, and relax listening to some of that relaxing/emotional music you were talking about recently, all played through your wonderful system. Refresh yourself and come back tomorrow nice and chilled.

And resist the temptation to have the last say *stop* *smile*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

That’s kind of the rules which you follow. Get put down and you do the same, and people have a breaking point.....

The bigger man walks away from it. You can have a discussion, banter, even an argument, but resort to insults and you are just a loser.

im sorry but with respect that’s what I was suggesting to you to do the other day, but you said you’d deal with it your way and carried on...

but the reason why these forums go like this, is because people put others down, some are more sensitive than others like me, they don’t put up with it. And people should look to those that start it like that daveh pr—k. Nobody has a right to offend if they feel they aren’t winning a debate or argument, and the amount of times that happens - Andrewjvt, davedotco, Gaz guy etc. It’s just lack of intelligence. They should be told. Clearly decent people like you gazzip don’t annoy because you are clearly smart enough to realise it’s a debate. These idiots just carry on, I will carry on as a debate, then they start insulting. Or the worst ones start making personal jokes to belittle which is another way to rile someone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts