Can you connect a Cambdridge Audio CXC to a CXN and the speakers to the CXN?

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I'm trying to setup my first Hi-Fi, I´m subscribed to Spotify, and have a CD collection. Does this configuration make sense?
or do I need a CXA61 amplifier for example.

Suggestions, comments are welcome,

Thanks,

Gray

CXC to CXN, yes
CXN to powered or active speakers, yes
CXN to passive speakers, no - for that you would need to go via the CXA61 (or even just a power amp, as the CXN can act as a pre-amp).

But, of course, if you did get the CXA61 you would probably connect the CXC to that rather than the CXN.

P.S. I wish my first hi-fi could have been as good as the one you're considering.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

For your system and Spotify I’d say the CXN V2 is probably overkill.

I have a CXA60 and use a Chromecast Audio (£17) for streaming and my Blu-ray player for CD’s (but ultimately now never do) both connected via digital. I doubt you’ll get any benefit audibly for the extra £982 (based on current pricing) over the Chromecast.

If new I’d suggest you return the streamer, get something like a Wiim Mini streamer (£99) and get some very nice speakers instead.

I’d probably also stay away from anyone recommending the CXN V2 when you don’t even have speakers.
Here's my two pence. Firstly, get a free trial of Tidal instead of Spotify. Usually you can get at least a month free. The price is the same but it's a higher quality stream rate so sounds better. There are various rippers to transfer playlists from Spotify to tidal or any other provider and vice versa.

The Chromecast Audio suggested above are no longer sold. They are now more like £70-80 second hand on ebay. Whilst these are good, your CXN knocks the socks off a Chromecast (I've owned both) so keep the CXN. I strongly disagree with the poster above on this point.

As for owning an amp and streamer but no speakers, that's a slightly odd way of doing it but hey-ho. You've already bought two decent items there - can you borrow some speakers whilst you save up for your own set?

If not, how much do you intend to spend on speakers and when do you think you'll be able to buy them?

Also, can you please describe your room dimensions and if you will be looking for floorstanders or stand mounted speakers, plus if the latter if you already own stands, or need to buy some?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: barcpc and Al ears

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Here's my two pence. Firstly, get a free trial of Tidal instead of Spotify. Usually you can get at least a month free. The price is the same but it's a higher quality stream rate so sounds better. There are various rippers to transfer playlists from Spotify to tidal or any other provider and vice versa.

The Chromecast Audio suggested above are no longer sold. They are now more like £70-80 second hand on ebay. Whilst these are good, your CXN knocks the socks off a Chromecast (I've owned both) so keep the CXN. I strongly disagree with the poster above on this point.

As for owning an amp and streamer but no speakers, that's a slightly odd way of doing it but hey-ho. You've already bought two decent items there - can you borrow some speakers whilst you save up for your own set?

If not, how much do you intend to spend on speakers and when do you think you'll be able to buy them?

Also, can you please describe your room dimensions and if you will be looking for floorstanders or stand mounted speakers, plus if the latter if you already own stands, or need to buy some?

I do have an old set of LG speakers, 4 ohms, from a 2015 equipment, obviously not the best, but they work and are just a transition as I keep saving for buying the rest.

I left the speakers for last since here in Argentina is easier to buy speakers than it is to buy the Amp, Streamer, etc.
I have space for floor stands, the room is around 3 x 5 meters, 3 meter ceiling aprox.

Thanks for contributing,

D

Deleted member 160668

And your budget for upgrade? Also will you consider just new or also second hand?

D

Deleted member 160668

You also might benefit from starting a new post with a speakers advice wanted title and your budget/room/kit etc. listed in the main text body.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts