Can we hear sound above 20kHz!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I suspect, if the amplitude is great enough, we might be able to detect higher frequencies through our finger tips.
Quoting one of my posts from elsewhere - I suspect that if so we'd be in trouble!

Reading a book about the extremes in nature/physics etc. The one on loudness is interesting. The French Horn is the loudest unamplified instrument, and a third of players under 40 have some related hearing loss. Something like Saturn V taking off is around 200dB, whereas Krakatoa or Tunguska were reckoned to be between 300-315dB*. Above 160dB at close range is apparently 'probably not survivable'.

*Being near anything like this would not only blow your eardrums, but also pulverise organs and shatter bones.

Quoting one of my posts from elsewhere - I suspect that if so we'd be in trouble!

Reading a book about the extremes in nature/physics etc. The one on loudness is interesting. The French Horn is the loudest unamplified instrument, and a third of players under 40 have some related hearing loss. Something like Saturn V taking off is around 200dB, whereas Krakatoa or Tunguska were reckoned to be between 300-315dB*. Above 160dB at close range is apparently 'probably not survivable'.

*Being near anything like this would not only blow your eardrums, but also pulverise organs and shatter bones.
There is always a downside!

Reactions: 12th Monkey

AJM1981

just get a gradually tone sweep test and listen to when everything fades. Then any notice of instruments that might have overtones beyond that range (rarely utilized) makes no sense to mention in the context of needing a tweeter that goes beyond our range of hearing.

TRENDING THREADS