Can video output resolution affect backlight?

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Looking forward to any thoughts/explanations on this query.

I have just introduced a NAD T585 DVD/CD/SACD etc. disc player into my system (see below) principally for the audio playback improvements over my old NAD 53230 CDP, however I decided to also utilise the DVD playback and so connected to the amp with a QED HDMI-P cable (1.1 protocol only).

Whilst watching Die AnotherDay and adjusting the player's output resolution from 480p through 576p,720p to a maximum of 1080i I noticed that light grey/dark stripes became more and more noticeable on the screen the higher the resolution input. These stripes are visible from all my other sources as well at ther highest resolution outputs and can be mildly annoying in darker scenes.

Is there any relationship between the output resolution and the TV'S backlight? The TV can handle 1080p24fps.

By the way the quality of the DVD picture is slightly better on the NAD as opposed to the S550 with audio being the same in my opinion.

Regards

Skiman.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chudleighpaul,

If I switch off or disconnect the NAD or any other video source the screen does not show the vertical stripes gainst a black background - same as if I go to an unused input,

Thinking a bit more about this I'm wondering if the higher the resolution output the more information the screen receives therefore it accentuates the backlighting problem.

As the TV has a 5 year John Lewis Warranty and is only 14 months old it looks as though I may have to approach the warranty company. Has anyone done this and is it a hassle.

Regards

Skiman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts