Question Can someone explain to me how sound bars worked with DTS X and Dolby Atmos please?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Do I need a 4k Blu-ray player that does DTS X and Dolby Atmos too for it to work right? How does it work? Thanks.

psychonaut

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
depends what your source is. be careful, if you are trying to use built in apps on a tv you need an e-arc hdmi port to get the signal from the tele to the soundbar. if you dont have e-arc, then it uses some horrible compressed format. i had this issue last year as i currently have an lg c7.

if you are using some other external source, you can usual;ly plug external source to soundbar, then soundbar passes the video to the tv.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

depends what your source is. be careful, if you are trying to use built in apps on a tv you need an e-arc hdmi port to get the signal from the tele to the soundbar. if you dont have e-arc, then it uses some horrible compressed format. i had this issue last year as i currently have an lg c7.

if you are using some other external source, you can usual;ly plug external source to soundbar, then soundbar passes the video to the tv.
Hi Psycho, does DTS and DTS Master audio work as well?

psychonaut

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
im not sure. i think so. i only remember doing this last year for atmos, but i think atmos has much more info in the stream than dts but dont quote me on it.

but if you dont have e-arc in the tv, you definitely cant do anything decent from the TV to sound bar. there are other ways, so for instance, getting an nvidia shield or apple tv, they can do netflix and amazon, then it can pass it to the sound bar, then the sound bar to the tv. but getting dolby anything out of a tv to a sound bar is impossible (asides from crap sound) without e-arc.

psychonaut

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
from https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

There’s scope for eARC to deliver up to 32 channels of audio, including eight-channel, 24bit/192kHz uncompressed data streams at speeds of up to 38Mbps.

This means all those high bitrate formats currently available on Blu-ray discs, 4K Blu-rays and some streaming services – Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and object-based formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X – will all be compatible.

But whether manufacturers choose to support them all remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 2457

im not sure. i think so. i only remember doing this last year for atmos, but i think atmos has much more info in the stream than dts but dont quote me on it.

but if you dont have e-arc in the tv, you definitely cant do anything decent from the TV to sound bar. there are other ways, so for instance, getting an nvidia shield or apple tv, they can do netflix and amazon, then it can pass it to the sound bar, then the sound bar to the tv. but getting dolby anything out of a tv to a sound bar is impossible (asides from crap sound) without e-arc.
I just bought the Samsung 65Q90r Qled TV and it comes with the Sound bar Samsung Q70. So I guess I need to know for use will the Samsung Q70 sound bar do DTS and Master Audio? My B&W P1 sub seems to be barely working at the moment and I can’t get it to work with Bluetooth either, so it looks like this upgrade has just come at the perfect time. Cheers Psycho

psychonaut

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Well I have a almost new marantz amp fir atmos but haven't been arsed to run cables or buy speakers. Not sure that's gonna change. So I'm thinking to get a sound bar. 700 quid is about the budget. Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 2457

Well I have a almost new marantz amp fir atmos but haven't been arsed to run cables or buy speakers. Not sure that's gonna change. So I'm thinking to get a sound bar. 700 quid is about the budget. Any ideas?
You can pick up this soundbar for £800 and it does all the soundtracks and gets good reviews:

D

Deleted member 2457

What's your current sound system gel?
Hi BB, just bought a B&W db1s subwoofer to go with my Pioneer sc-lx81 amp and B&W FPM series speakers, traded in my B&W PV1 sub.

Can you see my sig BB?

I have just been on the phone with the shop and got my sub working with Bluetooth now and TV sound it wasn’t working before, but still decided I need a better sub so I bought one being setup next week.

D

Deleted member 2457

Here’s the sub with package:

I am currently thinking about going the full hog and buying the complete speaker package reviewed here. What do you think BB? Like I say I have bought the sub and will probably listen to that first with my B&W FPM series and see what I think. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Another review of the sub here:

D

Deleted member 2457

I have decided not to trade in my PV1 and have 2 subs instead. Also bought the Panasonic 820 4k Blu-Ray player.

D

Deleted member 2457

What’s the new B&W sub like Gel? Any better than the PV1?
Hi Buzz, good to see you on here again! I have being trying to contact you to let you know the forum was back but I couldn’t start a conversation with you on AVF, perhaps will we have a chat on there?

I haven’t got the sub yet mate sometime this week, I am going to use both I gather both have their strengths so should work well together.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts