can sacd frequency damage your speakers?

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
can frequency of sacd damage your speakers, twetters? i mean is so high, and speakers nowdays use to have less than 40 or 50 freq

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Your amp will only give back frequencies in his range. The most amps are cutting around 20khz.

Speakers have filters that will sort out those kind of mishaps. But they can only deal with "normal" occurences. Distortions or clipping noises are not within the normality.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No, your tweezers won't be damaged.

Although plenty of amplifiers (and super high resolution sources/signals) are wide band and can reproduce frequencies approaching 100 kHz your tweeters dont. They simply won't play it that's it and their break-up mode will occur far earlier. How far depends on topology but even the very best cop out before 50khz.

Because of our hearing which at best ( at around about 20 years old all else being perfect) tops out before 20 kHz this should, in theory be a pointless argument. However, there are some that say we can be susceptible to higher frequencies. Then there is the argument that wide band amplification 'letting in' some undesirable interference which could be audibly detrimental. Naim, for one, deliberately limit bandwidth of their AB amplifiers to get around this (and to achieve their house sound).

Musical instruments playback can far exceed our hearing capabilities frequency range so in the spirit of "high fidelity' these super high resolution formats and components make sense I guess but if like me, your hearing tops out at about 13 to 14 khz you'll get little benefit though there are other, more complex technical issues that question my argument.

Loooong story short, no they won't damage your twooters.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Good answer by DM. I never fail to be amazed by some of the varied out of the box questions we get on here. But the person who wins the forum for me today is the person who though he had to wind the volume up to max on his amp to get a decent level out of the Tape Out sockets.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
Good answer by DM. I never fail to be amazed by some of the varied out of the box questions we get on here. But the person who wins the forum for me today is the person who though he had to wind the volume up to max on his amp to get a decent level out of the Tape Out sockets.
Some of it boils down to inability of some to use google but the fact there are no stickies doesn't help either. Just a general point not aimed at OP. OP is likely a genuine concern and neither of what I mentioned.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
MajorFubar said:
Some of it boils down to inability of some to use google but the fact there are no stickies doesn't help either. Just a general point not aimed at OP. OP is likely a genuine concern and neither of what I mentioned.

Precisely. a FAQ section would be great on here for starters (fair enough the OP's question is not frequently asked). But it's clear the big cheeses @ Haymarket see this forum as a chore which exists just so they can say 'we have a forum' and not an as asset, so it won't happen.

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:
MajorFubar said:

Precisely. a FAQ section would be great on here for starters (fair enough the OP's question is not frequently asked). But it's clear the big cheeses @ Haymarket see this forum as a chore which exists just so they can say 'we have a forum' and not an as asset, so it won't happen.
FAQs, Stickies etc are a utter waste of time, as they're simply ignored/never read for the most part just like forum rules...

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:

Musical instruments playback can far exceed our hearing capabilities frequency range...

so when playing a guitar or a drumm the frequency goes over 20 khz?

bubobubo said:
drummerman said:

Musical instruments playback can far exceed our hearing capabilities frequency range...

I doubt that either a guitar or drum reaches anywhere near 20,000Hz. Overtones of strings, such as the violin, maybe, and breath sounds from wind instruments, perhaps.

If you Google "frequency ranges of musical instruments" you'll get many examples in chart form. Above 20kHz is typically described more in terms of air or overtones.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
bubobubo said:
drummerman said:

The chances are that if you are old enough to be posting on this site, you won't be able to hear much over 15Khz.

The 20Hz to 20KHz range for humans that gets referred to all the time is for young kids, hearing response starts to drop off from the age of 8. A number of the hearing threshold studies available on the net are quite old now, well before the time that teenagers fried their hearing with Sony Walkmans, iPods or now their phones. It is likely that the average hearing threshold for the 20+ agegroup in the West is now lower than the historical studies would indicate.

No doubt there will be the 40 year old 'I can hear 20KHz clearly' brigade. No you can't. Do the test in proper controlled conditions at an audiologist and that miraculous hearing you have will have been left in reception.

As for music above 20KHz, it doesn't really matter since you can't hear it, but cymbals will generate significant +20KHz output.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The irony is that most of the youngsters who boast they can hear all the way to 20kHz+ spend their time listening to MP3s on **** earbuds with the frequency response of a domestic telephone line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts