Can port plugs be added to any speaker?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

is it possible to or an option to add foam bass port plugs to any speaker? i just feel like trying some in my speakers, in my room. The speakers are old Mission 733's.

As you can guess, I didn't buy them with plugs, so how would i go about plugging them? the ports are quite large and have a baffle plate running vertically, just inside the port.

A

Anonymous

Yes, you can do it to any ported speaker. It doesn’t mean it will be a change for the good. Typically you will get tighter bass response with significantly less deep bass extension. You may also get higher cone excursion and more thermal stress on the voice coil.

Plugging the port will NOT dull the upper frequencies.

T

the record spot

The Mission 733/733i also has the means to load with sand - there's an opening below the speaker terminals at the back that permits this.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought these Mission 733's about a month ago, thinking that about the sand port, but it's not the case. I did some asking around, and it seems that only the 733i's have the sand port. Mine certainly don't.

A

Anonymous

You can also try 'straws' inside the port. This tip I got from the designer of Hepta loudspeakers. It seems it works pretty good!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ocean37 said:
You can also try 'straws' inside the port. This tip I got from the designer of Hepta loudspeakers. It seems it works pretty good!

Proac were using drinking staws in there Tablet ports in the 80's, suposed to smooth out the air flow and stop chuffing. Same dodge used in water jet (fountain) technology, air and water react in similar ways, just that water is 700x dencer than air:?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I would have to suggest trying a sock instead of a port plug first. To most the loss of bass extension isn't worth the addition of a port plug. Having said that it worked wonders on a pair of Bnw Dm6002s (I really dislike Bnw's definition of bass, no offence).

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
In my all too extensive experience of experimenting with my Neats to get the bass under control, I've tried a range of things. Anything (suitable) that you put in the ports is going to reduce the amount of bass, but also in roughly proportional terms impair the speaker's dynamic abilities. I found that bunging the ports with anything reduced the life and energy of the sound, via that reduction in dynamics. In the end i've left mine un-bunged as he disadvantages outweighed the benefits (for me).

In order (from most subtle to most striking), the things i tried were - bunches of straws, short foam bungs, long foam bungs and rolled up socks. The foam bungs were supplied by Neat.

I know it's not always easy to do this and remain within the constraints of domestic acceptability, but changing the position and orientation of the speakers has just as noticable effect on the bass. Moving them away from rear or side walls should reduce the bass, ensure that they are not the same distance from both the rear and the side, and one thing that I was recommended that surprised me, was reducing the amount of toe-in, but if you try that it's obviously a case of trial and error to strike the right balance between getting the image sharp and the bass under control.

Another thing i did which had a really beneficial effect - you coud try this if your speakers are on carpet - was getting some granite worktop savers from Aldi and putting them (2) under each speaker stand. Tightened things up in the bass dept, with a nice side effect being an increase in clarity in the mid-range too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts