Can I use the speakers from an old all-in-one with a new AV receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently I've got an old Sony all-in-one DVD system, a DAV-S800, and I was thinking of getting a proper AV receiver, a Sony STR-DH810. I was thinking of continuing to use the existing speakers. I popped into Richer Sounds and they say that a) the passive sub can't be driven from an AV receiver and b) the speakers will blow up. Is there any reason to think that a 6 ohm speaker from an all-in-one will blow up if attached to an AV receiver? Is there anything I can do with the existing passive sub?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
a) is correct: the subwoofer in that system is passive, and driven by an amplifier in the main system unit. An AV receiver has no internal amplification for the subwoofer channel, and needs to be used with an active sub - ie one with an amp built-in. The solution would be to put a power amp between the receiver and the sub, but you'd do better to put the money toward an active sub.

b) isn't quite correct, but it's likely the lowish impedance of the speakers may well trigger the protection circuit of the new amp every time you try to turn it up beyond very modest levels. More to the point, the speakers won't make the most of the new amp.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
As andrew said - youll be using a decent amp to drive fairly rubbish speakers. Your call, but its a bit of a waste of the amp

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. I was trying to upgrade on the cheap. I think I'll look into the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS speaker package.

A

Anonymous

Those boston speakers for the size are very heavy! Never heard them in action though.

I went down the upgrade of my Logitech Z5500 system to Yamaha 667 and the speakers for 8ohms so worked quite well. But once i replaced the speakers with MA BX2 system it was like night and day the difference in quality.

I wouldnt waste your money going the other way though, high end speakers in ALLinOne system, doesnt do it any justice.

I found though the new AV Receiver did increase the quality of special effects quite a bit. I would spend some time messing around with speaker positions though, i find its best that you make the room accomodate the speakers and not the speakers accomodate the room.

I spent 2 years with a system that was positioned to the room layout and when i changed it, boy did it increase performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts