Can I use my AV amp as a pre-amplifier?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Again showing my lack of knowledge in hi-fi (I'm learning), but the passion is there! I have a Sony 1200ES amp, could I add a power amp to this and how would I do that? Or is a decent integrated going to do a better job?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You mean a multi channel power amp?

yes, you could connect the 'pre outs' to a power amp

I used to do exactly the same with my denon av amp and arcam P1000

So long as the power amps half decent id say go with that as ive never been a big fan of integrated av amps

As the sonys no longer using its internal amps youll find its pre amp section doing a far better job than before as the power supply isnt being drained by the amps inside

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Well no....a 2channel power amp to my multi channel home theatre amp, I had an old Marantz hooked up but it died. So to make your answer clear are you saying that I could buy a good power amp and get a better result than a similarly priced integrated? I mean I have no plans to get rid of the Sony 1200ES at this stage. Will this give me the balance of home theatre and better music?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
In theory, an Integrated Amp has a pre-amp + Power amp, so at the same price purely for power amp purpose, an Integrated should not give the same high performance as a dedicated power amp.

Keeping theory aside, if Sony needs to be kept and only a powe amp is needed, then I guess the answer is already in the question.

Most people who use an Integrated amp, use the Integrated amp's pre-amp section for other inputs and hence it becomes important in such situation.

Simple answer - Power amp will be just perfect, in this case.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im in agreement with wishtree

For purely 2 channel youd probably find an integrated sounds better. That would be using a cd player as a source say and going direct to the integrated

Left and Right audio in multichannel would be a step up either way. If you used a power amp and put the sony into 'direct' mode, in theory it would shut down its internal amps which 'might' mean 2 channel audio is very comparable to direct to an integrated.

Very hard to say which would be better for certain

My slight concern with using a power amp is its 'gain'. Im not 100% if it would follow your sonys control volume through the decibel range. An integrated could be set anywhere so not a problem. Ive not actually done it that way myself.

A

Anonymous

A little bit confuse on what is being ask here
smiley-innocent.gif

If you’re referring to getting a 2 channels power amp to be connected directly to the pre-out of the AV amp front L/R?

Or are you referring to replacing the power amp above with an integrated amp instead?

Suppose your main purpose is to get a better music re-production from the AV amp.

If so, instead of doing the above 2 option, there is one other alternative where you can get a pure music re-production without having to pass through all the AV amp electronics.

In the market, there are integrated stereo amps with a HT by-pass input (ie effectively by passing the pre-amp section of the integrated stereo amp).

CD player to intergraded stereo amp.

AV amp front L/R pre-out to integrated stereo amp HT by-pass inputs.

When playing music, only turn on the intergraded stereo amp.

When playing movie, turn both amp on & set the integrated stereo amp input selector to HT by-pass.

(this effectively switch off the integrated stereo amp pre-amp stage & uses only it power-amp stage).

One such amp for your reference (http://denon.co.uk/DocumentMaster/UK/Bed_PMA-1510AE.pdf)

Go to page 12 – power amp direct (also page 13 on how to connect btw the 2 amp).

Other than Denon, there are a lot of other brands integrated stereo amps offering the same functions (although some will call this in different name).

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Alright guys, got my answer thanks, will just go out and get an integrated and attach to AV amps pre-outs which is what I was doing until the old amp went kaput!

A

Anonymous

I have no doubt a decent integrated amp will do a better jog. Pre-amp section of Sony 1200ES and other ordinary multichannel amps are not suitable to handle music in stereo.

Integrated amps are based on projects with shorter audio signal path (multichannel pre-amps have lots of filters and other circuits which degrade audio signal) and use better parts. Even pre-amp section of mid-priced integrated amps are better than the abovementioned multichannel amp's.

Once I tried something similar with Denon 4310 as a pre-amp + Sansui AU-α707KX as power amp and their performance was far away worse than the Sansui as integrated amp.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Looks like you have your answaer, if you can find an integrated with a HT Bypass it will make it easier for volume setting when in multichannel. While AV amps can have good sound, a good integrated or even Pre will probably be better, It was fo me when I recently went from AV amp to Power amp to Pre Power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts