can i upgrade my kit with another company?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
sorry if this may sound a daft question but if in the near future i fancy auditioning a cyrus cd8se to replace my arcam fmjcd17 is it possible to trade the arcam in for a brand spanking new cd8se from a different shop, because the hifi store i purchased my arcam from unfortunatly does'nt sell cyrus gear!

A

Anonymous

It should be - just ask! That's not a very old CD player though, are you not impressed with it?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
actually i think the weak link in my system is my amp,(rega brio3). i'm using B&W 685's and i feel as though i'm not hearing the 685's no where near enough to their full potential!

A

Anonymous

If I was you I would be thinking about spending my money on better amplification.

A

Anonymous

The Kandy )though I haven't heard the K2( works well with Arcam and B&W though I wouldn't blind buy. If you're spending that amount of money I'd listen to it first and compare it with other amps like the 5i, 8vs2, Sonneteer....

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
the trouble is i havent got audiophile ears like most of you guys. the last audition i sat through at grahams hi-fi(great chaps they were) the guy had to tell me that the arcam fmjcd17 sounded far better than the marantz cd6002, to my ears it did'nt sound far better but i took his word for it and opted for the arcam. i think what im trying to say is that i find auditioning an uncomfortable experiance, in an ideal world it would be great to take the product home with you and demo that way.

A

Anonymous

In that case I'd give up now whilst you're only slightly behind! Seriously if you can't hear the difference why bother spending all this cash! If you find it more comfortable to listen at home see if you can get a home demo, Grahams are fantastic and I'm sure will be happy to.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you could do with the 'safety' and synergy of a one-brand pairing.

How about trying the Rega Apollo CD player to partner your Brio 3?

See if your Rega dealer can set this up with a pair of Rega RS1 speakers (£398) to compare with the B&Ws. Also see if they will be prepared to let you do this 'on approval' at home.

Buying blind (or should that be 'buying deaf'?) is never a good idea.

matthewpiano

gooner26:
the trouble is i havent got audiophile ears like most of you guys. the last audition i sat through at grahams hi-fi(great chaps they were) the guy had to tell me that the arcam fmjcd17 sounded far better than the marantz cd6002, to my ears it did'nt sound far better but i took his word for it and opted for the arcam. i think what im trying to say is that i find auditioning an uncomfortable experiance, in an ideal world it would be great to take the product home with you and demo that way.

Never take anyone's word for it when it comes to hi-fi. If it doesn't sound better to you, then it isn't better. Don't get dragged into the 'Its Arcam so it must be better than Marantz' thing. Your own ears are the best judge.

I fear you might have taken a wrong turn. I would have gone for a Rega Apollo to match your Brio amp and then upgrade to a Rega Mira amp later on. Much better than the Arcam stuff IMO, but that is only my opinion. You really need to do some more auditioning at a dealer that makes you feel comfortable.

Jitter

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:gooner26:

the trouble is i havent got audiophile ears like most of you guys.

Complete Myth mate. Always buy what sounds best to YOU. If you can't hear a difference don't worry and don't buy, no matter what the deal is.....

I always thought that I would hear a massive difference between systems, but once you get into real hifi territory, the differences get increasingly subtle. That means that you have to listen to quite a bit of music before you are sure that there is a difference. Even then, different isn't always 'better'. It really is up to you, there is a great deal of snobbery around HiFi. Don't get sucked in........

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
my dealer suggested rega's own speakers (not sure which model no) which i auditioned and they sounded ok in my opinion but i opted for the 685's because i know there capable of stepping up a gear if and when i decided to upgrade. the ideal system i would have loved to auditioned is spendor's A5's with the cyrus cd8se and roksan's Caspian M series-1 amp which i know is consdiderably more expensive but that's the kind of level of performance i think i'm after!

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
as you can all probably tell i'm no expert, but could any of you guy's tell me in your opinion what would give me superior performance between the ATC SCM 11 and the Spendor A5's partnered with the roksan Caspian M series-1 amp and a cyrus cd8se?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like we have the opposite problem to each other. I've just upgraded amp and speakers to Kandy K2/MA GS10, and I'm thinking which CD to go for. The above amp/speaker combo sounds great to my ears, and if your CD17 has the characteristic Arcam presentation, my guess is that it would be complimented by the K2. Personally I'd try a new amp first, as the 685's are a great wee pair of speakers. Whatever you go for, make it something that sounds good to you, not just to your dealer. As a matter of interest, what stands are you using?

All the best,

Shuggie

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hi, i'm using atacama's nexus 6 speaker stands although i am seriously considering the Partington Dreadnought Broadside stands which i have found a great deal on! basically i'm after a conservative sound with a bit of excitment thrown in if that makes any sense! getting back to speaker stands, i'm sure i'm noticing slight colouration with certain parts of songs. think i'll buy the partingtons though.

A

Anonymous

If that's the sound you're going for, then my guess is that the K2 certainly deserves a listen. To me it's more boisterous than my Arcam amp, but not wearing to listen to.

That's the same stands I upgraded from to Superdreadnoughts, and I was blown away by the improvement in scale and control. My wife, who has a great pair of ears, but who has never got the whole HiFi thing, was equally impressed (that may be related to the fact that she got them for me for Christmas).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts