can i play 24 bit tracks with itunes

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I have all my music collection on my laptop in apple lossless format connected to the cyrus pre xpd via usb cable.I am keen to download and emjoy higher rate music such as 24 bit audio and was wondering if I could use itunes.I know I can use other software to play 24 bit audio but don t really want to delete the itunes and reload/rip all my cd in the computer in flac file using winamp for example, nor do i want to run two software(one for 24 bit audio and one for 16 bit...)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
yes, you can. change the audiomidi setting from 16 bit to 24 bit and set the sampling rate to the same as the track you are playing, you'll have to quit and restart itunes for the changes to take effect. you may as well leave the bit depth set at 24 all the time, it makes no difference to 16 bit music.

to avoid having to change sample rate each time you play music with different sample rates, you have options like pure music, but obviously they are not free.

bum. just noticed your ref. to winamp, the above is for a mac. no idea what you have to do on a windows pc, or if it's even necessary.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
You may also need to convert the files you purchase (which will probably be WAV or FLAC) into AIFF so that they can be played in iTunes. Max is a good free application for the Mac that can do that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:bum. just noticed your ref. to winamp, the above is for a mac. no idea what you have to do on a windows pc, or if it's even necessary.

On Windows the word length is set on the Quicktime Player.

Open Quicktime and select 'edit' then 'preferences' then 'Quicktime preferences'.

Click on the 'Audio' tab and then go down to the 'Sound out' panel and change 'size' to 24 bits. Under 'rate' select 44.1khz if all your downloads are iTunes or derived from CD rips. (If you are playing much higher rates like 96khz then select accordingly.)

Then click on 'apply' if any of your selections were different to the defaults.

[Edit] Additionally go to 'Sounds and Audio Devices Properties' on Windows* and select the 'Sounds' tab. Go to 'Sound Scheme' and ensure this is set to 'No sounds' (so that beeps and boops from other software do not come through your hifi when you are playing music.)

Also make sure the laptop's master volume is always set to the maximum.

*That's what it's called on XP. I am sure it is called something similar on Vista or W7.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Dan Turner:You may also need to convert the files you purchase (which will probably be WAV or FLAC) into AIFF so that they can be played in iTunes. Max is a good free application for the Mac that can do that.

you can also convert to alac. I use max converter and it works well and is very easy to use. it even adds the newly converted files to itunes and a playlist if you want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts