Can I have your recommendations for cleaning vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I want to clean up all my old vinyl so can I have your recommendations on how to do this. I read about a record cleaner which did a good job by giving it a bath in a liquid but not to use the supplied liquid as this caused a build up of white stuff on the stylus.

How do you clean your vinyl? Recommendations please.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I've heard excellent reviews about the Knosti Antistatic cleaner. It's a wet cleaner, but a cheap alternative to the vacuum models (retails at about £40). Do a search on amazon/ebay for it.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I started off with a Knosti Antistat but I would really recommend a vacuum cleaning machine. I would highly recommend the Cadence Okki Nokki and strongly recommend L'Art du Son record cleaning fluid. Its not cheap but one bottle goes a long way and I've had excellent results with it.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I use a Knosti and it is great. However I make my own fluid due to residue issues with the supplied stuff.

1 part Isopropyl Alcohol (99.9%)

3 parts Distilled (or de-ionised) water

a couple of drops of dishwasher rinse aid (no particular brand, just whatever Mrs Rob has bought)

All easily available from the net (apart from the rinse-aid, which is easily available from under the sink....), I use http://www.apcpure.com/ but other lab supply companies are available.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
+ 1 for the Knosti.

Never had a problem with the supplied stuff apart from the price but like others here I am in the process of making my own as it's so damn easy and no need to re-use being nice and cheap. :grin:

A

Anonymous

I bought a used Moth vacuum record cleaner from eBay. it does an excellent job, and well worth the money if you have a large number of records.

What ever cleaning option you go for make sure you rinse the records thoroughly as I found any detergent left behind resulted in pops and crackles and significantly poorer results.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

The best way is a vacuum type machine, it doesn't matter what make it is. I've tried other methods and apart from being very labor intensive they are nowhere near as effective.

TRENDING THREADS