Can any comment about how good the Tannoy precision 6.4's are?

jayukguy147

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
I own the 6.4's and love them. I'm running them with a Nad T778

I have a urge after many years ownership to upgrade, no reason really.

I've noticed the KEF R11's...

Can the Tannoys still hold there own with speakers under £3000?

Hopefully I can find someone who has owned the 6.4's or even the 6.2's and maybe upgraded?

Thanks 🙏

A quick Google suggests your amp is an AV one - and whilst they could work together pretty well, your amp looks like the weaker link to me - for stereo music at least.

A nine-channel AV amp is spreading itself over lots of channels, a stereo amp over two. Ergo the latter can have better components for a given budget. It also needn't have any money spent on AV processing. So you probably need to spend 2-3 times as much on an AV amp to match a stereo one for straightforward music reproduction.

I'd be spending a similar amount on amplification and speakers for stereo music, so by my reckoning the speakers are probably not where you should start.

Samd

Of course, in principle the above comments by the '12th' are correct but some AV amps are noted as musical and yours clearly is. I have a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 500s married to an Anthem AVR and the marriage was made in heaven!! My room is by no means large but I have them nearly 3m apart and they perform effortlessly in AV and stereo alike. They thoroughly deserve the many plaudits they have received.

Hopefully I can find someone who has owned the 6.4's or even the 6.2's and maybe upgraded?

Thanks 🙏
Perhaps, however even if they have it is unlikely to help you as they probably used a different amp in a different room and listened to them with different ears.
you need to get out to audition in order t to answer your question.

Thanks 🙏
I've heard the Precision 6.1 and they sounded really good. However, they will sing only with the right amplification. The demo was with a Cyrus, but to my ears they are best with smoother amps such as Arcam or Creek or Roksan.

I don’t think I ever heard your Tannoys, but I’ve heard and enjoyed both the KEF R11 and the QA Concept 500.

They’re both modern, slim, tall floorstanders needing a fair bit of space to perform optimally. Technically, they each have some interesting design features, and measure well too. And both sound pretty big, so room sizes over say 25 sqm with plenty of room to position them is probably needed.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts