Cambridge

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The number of posts where people are unhappy after only a few weeks with their Cambridge equipment and the fact that it's too bright is astounding. Please be careful when purchasing this kit and demand a demo at Richer sounds, armed with some favourite CDs.

A

Anonymous

Fortunately, the Arcam gear didn't make it past the demo stage so didn't get that far.

Only joking Joel, take it on the chin! Good advice about demo-ing as always though.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bloney"]Fortunately, the Arcam gear didn't make it past the demo stage so didn't get that far.

Only joking Joel, take it on the chin! Good advice about demo-ing as always though.[/quote]

Ouch. LOL

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Got to disagree, I hate a bright sound!, The Cambridge stuff isnt bright. But again, What you think is diffrent to me, And what you like i dont and visa versa. Always demo the kit first!.

Luke

A

Anonymous

my 640 amp isnt bright either, in fact , if anything,its a tad restrained in the treble compared to my old arcam A75+

A

Anonymous

I would say that Cambridge kit can sound quite forward, although whether this translates into exciting, bright, or harsh is a matter of personal taste. Auditioning would be a must, although at RS I think this can be difficult. Some of their outlets may hook up some stuff for you on the shop floor, but that's hardly ideal with punters milling around checking out the (rather overpriced in my opinion) LCD TVs. The day the RS decided to get rid of their demoing facilities was a sad day indeed and, I would say, marked something of a turning point for the company. All credit to them for pumping out some great kit at prices which encourage people into the world of hi fi... but I must say that their prices aren't always as keen as they used to be. Whoops, this has gone slightly off topic.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]The number of posts where people are unhappy after only a few weeks with their Cambridge equipment and the fact that it's too bright is astounding.
Please be careful when purchasing this kit and demand a demo at Richer sounds, armed with some favourite CDs.

[/quote]

I believe we just had this conversation in benwar101's thread. I'm with you in that Cambridge's budget stuff is far from perfect but its a compromise at the price just as anything else at any price.

Where I agree totally is that I'm sure its bought often on the back of reviews, disregarding other, perhaps less well known or 'highly rated' products. However, I believe Richer Sounds operate a return policy so you can take the things home and if not happy, return for a refund which is always preferable to a shop dem.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="tractorboy"]Whoops, this has gone slightly off topic.[/quote]

... THERE'S my little rabbit ...
[/quote]
I'm a rabbit for crying out loud. That kind of thing is illegal.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="Fraziel"]my 640 amp isnt bright either, in fact , if anything,its a tad restrained in the treble compared to my old arcam A75+[/quote] I think that's called 'Lack of detail' ;)[/quote]

yes i think it is to an extent but the A75 definitely had a slightly brighter top end.

A

Anonymous

You could ask nicely, rather than demand a demo! Use their 14 day home trial, as shop demonstrations really are a waste of time, even if there is a demo room. (Kit will always sound different at home).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts