Cambridge DAC 1

gasolin

I found a cheap Cambridge DAC 1

Is it worth spending the money on it or is it cheap for a reason ?

dacmagic-1-cambridge-audio-0.JPG

gasolin

I've heard subtle differences - and read an article about blind testers, unable to tell whether the DAC they were listening to cost £20 or £2,000.

Oh

Was also thinking about a Beresford TC-7510 if i can one

And one of the cheaper ones from smsl,nobosund,fosi audio,fx-audio

(i have always wanted my cd,pc to sound more analog like a turntable than digital)

Could be soemthing like this (i just don't need headphone and bas,treble tone control https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XCQ8CCM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fx-audio+dac&qid=1582916580&sr=8-3

51Q88VpsHML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Gray

Oh

Was also thinking about a Beresford TC-7510 if i can one

And one of the cheaper ones from smsl,nobosund,fosi audio,fx-audio

(i have always wanted my cd,pc to sound more analog like a turntable than digital)

Could be soemthing like this (i just don't need headphone and bas,treble tone control https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XCQ8CCM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fx-audio+dac&qid=1582916580&sr=8-3

51Q88VpsHML._AC_SL1000_.jpg
I think some of those small, cheap ones could be every bit as good as much more expensive ones.

insider9

I found a cheap Cambridge DAC 1

Is it worth spending the money on it or is it cheap for a reason ?

dacmagic-1-cambridge-audio-0.JPG
It's actually Dacmagic 1. Dont think they produced DAC 1. It had a TDA chip and if it's cheap sure why not. They did however make DAC 3 and if you get a chance to get it cheap or otherwise then take it and run. They're exceedingly rare.

gasolin

I would say no, there are 2 dac 3 for sale so atm it's not rare

In europe there are 8 for sale

What are max bit rate?

What are tidal hifi and master in samplerate?

(i just so Sampling Frequency is limited to 32 to 48kH, turn off and mabye a max bitrate 16 ?)

Last edited:

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well if you hear any differences in Dacs or not will most likely depend on the rest of the system as they are subtle but evident. I can hear differences in Dacs in my system in my silent room,hell even what different filters do, weather it is due to the dac chip itself or to the different output stages and with some other Dacs I don´t.It is not only the Dac chip,it is the implementation of it in the unit as a whole what makes a difference too,if you speak about "sharp","harsh","precise","analog","warm","muddled","rich" etc..System match must be considered too.If you already have a very resolving more analytical/dry amp a highly precise and sharp Dac- (unit) won´t do good for some who desires a more musical/warm/relaxed sound if the speakers in your room are capable to translate at all.
Any Dac you use,you will always recognize your music coming from a digital source and it will never sound as "analog" as coming from a real analog source in direct comparison because digital is simply much more cleaner and transparent.But you can absolutely make digital sources sound "musical" and "warm".

For 41 Euro this Dac is a no brainer.Just try it if it works for you and sell it if not.

Reactions: knaithrover

gasolin

How much are they doing for?

under 70 euros but i noticedd sample rate is rather low and mabye bit rate i a bit low to?

Even if it sound good i won't be able to play all record on tidal hifi in the best quality? Cd 16 bit and 44.1khz should be fine.

Im thinking even when i can't gain match (level) both unit's my pc and cd to use it for both to get almost the same sound fro both digital sources where cd i often play when i can't find it on tidal and buy it on a cd and tidal for music i don't have on cd/lp (like john lee hooker the healer i jut bought on lp)

gasolin

Th dacmagic may only play low res music but the higher tier dac 3 looke like it also does it, im okat that a cheap (but good ) entry leve dac does that but a higher tyier dac i would like to be able to play 24 bit 96khz files

gasolin

Dac recieved (Cambridge audio azur dacmagic (about 2008-2010)

I have to run tidal hifi in exclusive mode for it to aut to change to the right samplerate.

PERFORMANCE Optical Graphite for my pc, coaxial belkin for my cdplayer output PERFORMANCE Audio Graphite

More lively, dynamic and better bass -10 db attenuators from rothwell

D

Deleted member 108165

Let me know what you think of the Rothwell's, in my system they appear to completely transparent and am very happy with them.

gasolin

I have had them for many years and the do what they are surpose to do

I now have a wider range i can use for adjusting the volume before it's loud and matches my tape deck,turntable better in gain,volume than without using them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts