Cambridge CXN - DSD playback

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Has anybody managed to get DSD files working on this? Contemplating buying as I have a large collection of DSD files on DSF format.

Also does anybody play files through an external DAC - I use and Audiolab M-DAC and want to use that as my dac

Gray

The CXN would probably play your DSD files Pete, but as you may know it's just increased to the same (£800) price as the M-DAC+.

I had my eye on the CXN to play FLAC files off a HDD, but at the suggestion of a Forumite, I ended up using a Raspberry Pi3 to do the job, by USB through my E-DAC (an O-DAC in a metal box) Not glamorous maybe, but it's hidden away and works well remotely controlled by tablet or PC.

The RuneAudio operating system I use to control the Pi, has the option to enable DSD playback in its setup menu - but only in conjunction with a DSD capable DAC of course.

One way or another you need a DSD DAC to hear those DSD files in their native form.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I too went down the raspberry Pi /Rune audio route. Only restriction was that the M-DAC can only play 24 bit - 96kHz over USB and I had some 192 kHz FLAC Files. So always felt I wanted something better. I went as far as buying a Hifiberry digi+ card with coax/optical out. I tried several tutorials but it just won't work or it just doesn't like my M-DAC. I've tried it in 2 different PI's, maybe it's just faulty....

I have a lot of files in FLAC and a lot in DSF (DSD) format on a external Seagate USB drive.

I gather the CXN is a plug and go option for playback of the FLAC files on my hard drive, hence my interest.

I assume I would have to change my DAC to add in DSD decoding through that. I'm not willing to do that right now.

I'm tempted to take my hard drive down to Richer Sounds, audition the CXN (maybe taking down my M-DAC) and see how it performs. Then wait until the prices drop down to the £599 they were before christmas.

I'm even contemplating reading up how to convert my DSF files to FLAC using DBpoweramp/JRiver and going down that route so I don't have that DSD restriction.....

Samd

Pete Shields said:
I gather the CXN is a plug and go option for playback of the FLAC files on my hard drive, hence my interest.

I'm tempted to take my hard drive down to Richer Sounds, audition the CXN (maybe taking down my M-DAC) and see how it performs. Then wait until the prices drop down to the £599 they were before christmas.

Note though that the CXN will read large capacity hard drives connected to their USB inputs but some larger capacity drives will require you to use their own power supply, as the player's USB port may not supply enough power for the drive to function.

Gray

No doubt you've been on RuneAudio's own forum for assistance Pete?

Using the 'Bit perfect' fixed output, I found that occasionally, Pi to DAC was 20dB down on boot-up. Frank (one of Rune's developers) was very helpful on that forum. He told me how to get into 'Alsamixer' using 'SSH' to reset the level. (Don't ask me, I couldn't have done what he told me to do without the help of my computer-savvy brother)

Point is, if 192 is possible for you, I would have thought someone on that forum would be able to say how.

As for the CXN, Richer have put the brakes on sales for now, surely.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I must admit Gray I got a little fed up of the thing when it didn't work and put it in a carrier bag under the stairs! It's been there for 6 months now, but I will get it out again over the next week following your advice and try it using usb (which I know works) and then have another go with the Hifiberry although I do fear that that is the problem and is broken..........

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Bought a IQaudio Pi Dac+ last week and installed it in a nice little matching case. Tried the various players and finally got it working with Volumio (although it had to be set for the hifiberry digi+) via co-ax digital.

It would only play 96Khz files though my usb3 memory stick, but when i plugged a seagate USB3 hard drive in it worked a treat playing back 192Khz files.

I've installed the 21 day trial version of dbpoweramp and managed to batch convert all of my dsf files to FLAC 96Khz, so no longer have the need for a DAC that plays DSD files.

It's all working great at the moment and the sound quality change is really noticeable.

The next question I suppose is how much better (if any) is the sound quality from a dedicated streamer such as the Cambridge CXN or Pioneer N50A played through the M-DAC than what I'm currently getting.

The Pi-DAC is probably going to satisfy me for a while, until I get the what-if upgrade ideas in my head

Gray

There's no doubt that much faffing is necessary with this stuff, but it's nice when it starts to pay off.

In answer to your question Pete, I would predict no difference in sound between Pi via M-DAC and CXN via M-DAC, when playing FLAC files.

It's the CXN's dual DACs and 'ATF2 24 bit, 384 kHz' proprietary upsampling that could make a real difference to its sound when compared to anything through the M-DAC. And of course, native DSD should sound better than FLAC (subject, as always, to the original recording quality)

Apart from its sound, a lot would depend on how good the CXN control app is. (Although I do like the idea of its scroll / push-enter front panel control).

Like you, I'm happy with the Pi and DAC for now - but haven't ruled out a CXN one day.....the real skill is learning to remain content with what you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts