Cambridge CXA60: Power Consumption

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I have been looking into buying a new stereo amplifier, and as many people around here I thought the Cambridge Audio CXA60 was a rather nice piece of kit. When I looked into the CXA60's spec I picked up that it had a maximum power consumption of 600W. I thought this was rather a lot. The broadly comparable Arcam A19, for instance, sucks a maximum of 350W out of your socket, whilst the more powerful Audiolab 8300A is content with 440W.

I understand that the maximum power consumption is different to the power consumption in "normal use" -- we live in semi-detached house, so I can't go on full volume that often anyway... ;-)

As green credentials matter to me, I wonder whether anybody knows about the CXA60's power consumption in "normal use", and possibly how this compares to its competitors. Is the CXA60 really as "greedy" as the spec suggests? And if so, any clue why it needs to much more power to run, especially if compared to Arcam's A19?

Many thanks, Timo.

K

keeper of the quays

Timo said:
I have been looking into buying a new stereo amplifier, and as many people around here I thought the Cambridge Audio CXA60 was a rather nice piece of kit. When I looked into the CXA60's spec I picked up that it had a maximum power consumption of 600W. I thought this was rather a lot. The broadly comparable Arcam A19, for instance, sucks a maximum of 350W out of your socket, whilst the more powerful Audiolab 8300A is content with 440W.

I understand that the maximum power consumption is different to the power consumption in "normal use" -- we live in semi-detached house, so I can't go on full volume that often anyway... ;-)

As green credentials matter to me, I wonder whether anybody knows about the CXA60's power consumption in "normal use", and possibly how this compares to its competitors. Is the CXA60 really as "greedy" as the spec suggests? And if so, any clue why it needs to much more power to run, especially if compared to Arcam's A19?

Many thanks, Timo.
For great fidelity? Sacrifices must be made!...lol but I think in standby it's not much? And as far as I am aware? The more volume the more power is used? Keep it to reasonable volume levels..and if you wish to contribute to the electricity boards coffers? Turn it up! Good amp choice Imo.

Not that I am an expert in this matter but I thought maximum power consumption is the maximum an amp can possibly pull in and has nothing to do with the amount used in normal operation.

It probably uses no more than the others in this regard. If you're trying to go green then switch it off after every session. Oh, and don't consider valve amps. ;-)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That's a good amp

Last edition of the WHF mag that I bought they had a ampoff with it and the Arcam FMJ19.

The Arcam 'won' but with those numbers hmmm.......never heard a CXa60. WHF preferred the Arcams 'refinement'.

The headroom allowed the Cambridge with that power consumption though should make it a very dynamic amp that'll deal with big shifts in music with ease.(WHF did mention its big sound)

I'd say have a listen if possible, see if you like how it sounds - it'll rarely draw that sort of power from the mains. That power consumption is a good thing.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I know the Cambridge 851a and 851w use Cambridge's own class XD which they claim mixes the sound purity of class A with the efficiency of AB. What I can tell you is that they run very warm and so I suspect this is where the extra power is going. Obviously, as everyone has said, some of what it draws is managed by the volume control - but not all.

Assuming your heating is thermostatically controlled, the heat isn't wasted though, you should see a reduction in your gas bill!

K

keeper of the quays

TomSawyer said:
I know the Cambridge 851a and 851w use Cambridge's own class XD which they claim mixes the sound purity of class A with the efficiency of AB. What I can tell you is that they run very warm and so I suspect this is where the extra power is going. Obviously, as everyone has said, some of what it draws is managed by the volume control - but not all.

Assuming your heating is thermostatically controlled, the heat isn't wasted though, you should see a reduction in your gas bill!
Multi use? Unplug the amp after a evenings listening! It then becomes a hot water bottle.. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts