cambridge audio upgrade help

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,i have a cambridge audio azur 640c v1 cd player and cambridge audio azur 640a v2 amp mordaunt short 902i bookshelf and mordaunt short 904i floorstanders also cambridge audio dac magic ,QED Silver Anniversary XT cables.

I am after an upgrade to give it a wider more detailed soundstage.I have built this up the last few years and am not that clued up on the tech side. can anybody give me any advice where to start with £500.

matthewpiano

I'm familiar with your set-up and would suggest that you start off by scrapping the QED speaker cable and getting some Chord Company Carnival Silverscreen. This will give you a much more balanced sound and will help to open up the soundstaging.

I'd probably then look to the speakers. The 902i are excellent but you don't need to spend huge money to make a good improvement - the budget speaker game has moved on apace. I'd suggest looking at the Dali Lektor 2s for a more atmospheric sound with more confident soundstaging.

matthewpiano

They are a much more balanced and involving design than the 902is in my opinion (and I have tried them side-by-side), but I'd urge you to try and audition them if you can. I personally think they are sensational sounding for the price. Please note I am talking about the Lektor 2s which I feel are better all-round than the Lektor 1s.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the Lektor 2 speakers as well. Very good sound especially for the smaller room. I've been using mine in the bedroom. But if you want a medium-large room filling sound like the old 70-80's speakers gave (ones with larger drivers) look else-where.

A

Anonymous

+1 on the speakers , i had some 902i's but didnt like the sound. sold them a few months later. i use that cable, im guessing i should replace mine too??

damonster:They are at the front of my room either side of tv and the 902i s are wall mounted rears

Right, so effectively it's four speakers going through a basic two channel amp. Personally I don't think a small stand mount speaker will give you the sound you're looking for, but I could be wrong. That said, the 902 for the front will balance the sound better.... tricky. I'll have a think and come back later.

A friend of mine used to have four speakers connected to a two channel amp (albeit different makes) and I was trying to remember how he got round it...

The ideal scenario would be to connect some 904s at the back as well. However, if you can't accomodate two pairs of floostanders, and you like the overall balance, then *** into your local Richer Sounds. A lot of their stores now have dem rooms (certainly around London and the home counties) and maybe listen to these. They're within your budget and should be a decent upgrade. But an audition is essential.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/mordaunt-short/aviano-6/mord-aviano-6-dk-wal#

Good luck.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
bay24:There are some avi neutron v on eBay for £250 at the moment:)

At that price buy them (claimed 200 hours use).

No idea how they would match with your CA kit but they are phenomenal speakers. You wouldn't make a loss if you sold them on (probably make a profit if you did) but doubt that you'd want to IMO. These very rarely turn up S/H and at that price (TSP £400) I would definitely take a punt .

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers:bay24:There are some avi neutron v on eBay for £250 at the moment:)

No idea how they would match with your CA kit but they are phenomenal speakers. You wouldn't make a loss if you sold them on (probably make a profit if you did) but doubt that you'd want to IMO. These very rarely turn up S/H and at that price (TSP £400) I would definitely take a punt .
I agree. They go well with my CA kit but the one thing I would be wary about would be if your amp Has the power to drive them. I am not sure if I understand your current set up but if you are used to a set of floostanders and standmounters going at once not sure if they will have the volume you may be used to... I live mine tho.....

bay24:Sizzers:bay24:There are some avi neutron v on eBay for £250 at the moment:) At that price buy them (claimed 200 hours use). No idea how they would match with your CA kit but they are phenomenal speakers. You wouldn't make a loss if you sold them on (probably make a profit if you did) but doubt that you'd want to IMO. These very rarely turn up S/H and at that price (TSP £400) I would definitely take a punt . I agree. They go well with my CA kit but the one thing I would be wary about would be if your amp Has the power to drive them. I am not sure if I understand your current set up but if you are used to a set of floostanders and standmounters going at once not sure if they will have the volume you may be used to... I live mine tho.....

I agree the AVI have a tremendous reputation, I just fear they may not match MS902 at the rear.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Sizzers:bay24:There are some avi neutron v on eBay for £250 at the moment:)

Nnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Go on, you know you want to!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers:JohnDuncan:Sizzers:bay24:There are some avi neutron v on eBay for £250 at the moment:)

Nnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Go on, you know you want to!
He he, it comes full circle, John you were the one that recommended I demo the neutrons! I think they would be a steal if you know you like the sound!

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your help . I took your advice and changed to Chord Carnival.Also got a lovely pair of Dali Lektor 2s for £200 from Sevenoaks.

Its made a major difference to the soundstage playing The XX CD sounds great.Also acoustic guitars suddenly leap forward now as before they seemed to blend in with everything else.

The only problem now is my 902i s and my 904i s sound rubbish.

More Dali s for me i think!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts