Cambridge Audio DacMagic update/early review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

Cambridge Audio CEO:No, not yet. How did you send them through? Best way is via CA support system. Ben is looking out for you.

No, I think Andy Clough forwarded them to you, but I'll log in to the support system and do it from there.

cheers

JD

John Duncan

drummerman:
I am no expert but I think there's a limit what can be achieved with Wolfson's 8740. I was told by someone who should know that the later 8741 is clearly superior with standard cd replay and much more so with 24bit material.

I therefore would be surprised if CA's new DAC is anything more than a good upgrade for budget players but its usefulness and versatility in multimedia/pc/freeview etc environments where multiple inputs may be required is almost certain beyond doubt.

I'll make use of RS's home trial and will put the new product against the companies current top cdp with their 840v2 amplifier this w/end.

Well as Ashley is fond of saying, all DACs sound the same, don't they?
emotion-5.gif

Keen to hear your opinions over the weekend DM, though you might be lucky getting a DACMagic on sale or return........

A

Anonymous

A mate brought the DAC Magic round to my place last night. I set it up, using both a Samsung DVD player and a Cyrus CD8 (old model, not Vs or XT) as the source. It was very good and we were very hard pressed to tell the difference between the DAC Magic and the analgoue outs of the CD8 (a £1k player back in the day). Then we used the Cyrus DAC-X and quite frankly, the DAC Magic was made to sound budget in comparison, the difference was significant. However for the price difference one would perhaps expect that.

All in, I was very impressed. A great piece of kit, for a great price and with Richer Sounds returns policies, you cant go wrong!

John Duncan

JohnDuncan:Cambridge Audio CEO:No, not yet. How did you send them through? Best way is via CA support system. Ben is looking out for you.

No, I think Andy Clough forwarded them to you, but I'll log in to the support system and do it from there.

cheers

JD

Done.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
I am no expert but I think there's a limit what can be achieved with Wolfson's 8740. I was told by someone who should know that the later 8741 is clearly superior with standard cd replay and much more so with 24bit material.

I therefore would be surprised if CA's new DAC is anything more than a good upgrade for budget players but its usefulness and versatility in multimedia/pc/freeview etc environments where multiple inputs may be required is almost certain beyond doubt.

I'll make use of RS's home trial and will put the new product against the companies current top cdp with their 840v2 amplifier this w/end.

Thats what I had thought too....

A direct comparison between the CA and my Beresford will be in order nearer the time.

So I still wonder how the 840C compares as a DAC with a straight £750 DAC like the Stello etc.

A

Anonymous

I think the DACX is very good and a much better buy than their problematic CD spinners, if what I read on here is true.

What chipsets does the DACX use?

A

Anonymous

PS - Cambridge CEO

Will there be a DM V2 with the 8471? Do you have any opinion on the sonic differences between these two?

I believe Linn use the 8471 in the top DS player?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:

2nd night with DM.

First, I will answer a few questions; the DacMagic costs £199.95 and RS delivered it to my office free of charge - I don't know if I just asked really nicely or what!

DM, I will be really interested to hear your thoughts. I would suggest that it's better than you expect. I am using Chord Chorus II XLR to my 840A v1, this may improve the sound and it might be a better combination than others will use.

I played Alicia Keys' latest album last night (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's a great album). The sound was superb. Very good deep bass and I was hearing things not heard before - hand clicks in particular. The guy that demo'd against the DACX, that's a bit unfair! £1000 DAC against £200 DAC!! But it was good to hear that you were also impressed. Also worth noting is that I've not linked my pc and lossless recordings to the DAC yet and my transport is very lightweight and budget - not sure how much difference this will make.

Best £200 spent on hifi though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
A mate brought the DAC Magic round to my place last night. I set it up, using both a Samsung DVD player and a Cyrus CD8 (old model, not Vs or XT) as the source. It was very good and we were very hard pressed to tell the difference between the DAC Magic and the analgoue outs of the CD8 (a £1k player back in the day). Then we used the Cyrus DAC-X and quite frankly, the DAC Magic was made to sound budget in comparison, the difference was significant. However for the price difference one would perhaps expect that.

All in, I was very impressed. A great piece of kit, for a great price and with Richer Sounds returns policies, you cant go wrong!

Spurs fan, what amplification did you use in your tests?

A

Anonymous

Gents

You need to think behind the prices a little more.

On the face of it you're comparing £1k to £200 but is that retail price indicative of performance?

Probably not. They are both priced at the points the manufacturers feel will offer profit maximisation. Some brands feel they can charge more. Cambridge is excellent, but in the UK sold via Richer Sounds, so prices will have to be fair. If the same products were in a different case with a different brand in a different store they'd cost price as much.

£1000 RRP inc VAT is £800 more than £200.

If you take off VAT the difference is £680.

If you assume Richer margins have smaller margins than independents then the price difference is smaller again!

Take into consideration that the product will also need to fit appropriately in the range.

The Dac Magic is essentially half of a 740 CD, and the DACX is an upgrade on the CD8, and are therefore priced appropriately.

What I am saying is looking beyond the retail figures!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:thfcwestlower:

Amplification: Bel Canto S300i (300 watt per channel integrated using B&O ICE Power modules RRP £1700)

Speakers: Dynaudio 72SE (RRP £1750)

The DAC Magic didnt disgrace itself in this set-up. I wasnt panning it, I think it's marvellous value. The DAC-X was better, but that can be expected. Was it £800 RRP better? Probably not. Actually, definitely not.

John Duncan

Yes, understand that margins on a Cyrus are bigger than a Cambridge, and taken into account. What I'm looking for is really the cheapest DAC that can be regarded as 'proper' hifi but also has better than 'cottage industry' aesthetics (not mentioning any names), and the DM is it. Am not expecting £2k-player-slaying miracles, but am expecting it to be a serious source.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:Gerrardasnails:thfcwestlower:

Amplification: Bel Canto S300i (300 watt per channel integrated using B&O ICE Power modules RRP £1700)

Speakers: Dynaudio 72SE (RRP £1750)

The DAC Magic didnt disgrace itself in this set-up. I wasnt panning it, I think it's marvellous value. The DAC-X was better, but that can be expected. Was it £800 RRP better? Probably not. Actually, definitely not.

Thanks for that. This leads me to believe that your system would show the DACX to it's true potential and a lesser system, the two DACs would not be so far apart? At the end of the day if a £200 component is not disgraced in such lovely company as your system, it's mightily impressive.

A

Anonymous

A little bit off the topic

Has anyone here compare DAC X with Transporter. I am curious

thanks

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:drummerman:

2nd night with DM.

Oh, I didn't realise that you two were so close...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tractorboy:Gerrardasnails:drummerman:

2nd night with DM.

Oh, I didn't realise that you two were so close...

Very good TB!

A

Anonymous

We auditioned the WM8741 extensively and found we definitely preferred the original WM8740. It's interesting in that the 8741 as well as sounding different measures better in some areas but actually worse in others than the 8740. This not being down to implementation but the actual raw characteristics of the chip. Hence no DACMagic II etc. is likely unless we came across a new DAC or other change compelling enough for us to make a change.

P.S. I'm off to Asia tonight so that's why I will be quiet for the next 10 days

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Yes, understand that margins on a Cyrus are bigger than a Cambridge, and taken into account. What I'm looking for is really the cheapest DAC that can be regarded as 'proper' hifi but also has better than 'cottage industry' aesthetics (not mentioning any names), and the DM is it. Am not expecting £2k-player-slaying miracles, but am expecting it to be a serious source.

Try the Stello or the Larvay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts