Cambridge Audio DacMagic update/early review

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I finally set up my new black little box that is the DacMagic. First impression out of the box is that it's very small and light but solid to the touch and looks the part. The psu plug supplied is heavier than the DAC!

At the moment I am using the Sony DVP NS78 budget upscaling dvd player as transport. QED Silver reference coaxial into the DAC and Chord Chorus II XLR from DAC to Cambridge Audio 840A v1 (Chord Odyssey 4 bi-wired to RS6s).

This is early stages but the first thing that I noticed (I was playing late at night, kids and missus in bed) was that I readied myself with the 840 volume very low and when I pressed play on the remote, the sound was much much louder than I expected! Anyone know of a reason why this might be the case? I had been using an Arcam dvd player before straight to the 840 and the difference in volume at low levels is significant.

Anyway, back to the sound. Sublime. I was expecting a lot and it sounds gorgeous. I have not whacked the sound up yet but the 840 sounds better the louder it gets so I can't wait for the weekend! At low levels though, you can pick out the detail. Terence Trent D'arby's debut album hasn't sounded so good since I listened to it on vinyl in '88. The bass was very deep and taut and it just sounded proper! I am not the best at explaining things like this but will update at the weekend when I get more time with my cds.

One more note is XLR cables (these are my first so I don't know if they are all built in the same way) - they just seem so much more secure than RCA.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I told you that Arcam DVD players weren't the last word in CD replay and that my 192 wiped the floor with my DV79.

And, my DV79 requires the volume control to be significantly higher than my CD player to get the same output.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
I told you that Arcam DVD players weren't the last word in CD replay and that my 192 wiped the floor with my DV79.

And, my DV79 requires the volume control to be significantly higher than my CD player to get the same output.

I've not listened long enough to suggest that the DAC is better than my old Arcam. The DV27A is a higher end (FMJ) model to the DV79 and although I hear what you are saying, the 27A was very good indeed. As for your 192 beating the DV79 - it should do! It cost £900 brand new as a standalone cd player, the DV79 was the same sort of price as a dvd player. The 27A was a £2000 machine.

Anyway, I take your point about the volume.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:This is early stages but the first thing that I noticed (I was playing late at night, kids and missus in bed) was that I readied myself with the 840 volume very low and when I pressed play on the remote, the sound was much much louder than I expected! Anyone know of a reason why this might be the case?

It's more than likely the XLR connections, which can be up to 6dB 'hotter' than RCA, especially in a true 'balanced' XLR set up...If you haven't used them before, may explain the jump in loudness for you....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SC:
Gerrardasnails:This is early stages but the first thing that I noticed (I was playing late at night, kids and missus in bed) was that I readied myself with the 840 volume very low and when I pressed play on the remote, the sound was much much louder than I expected! Anyone know of a reason why this might be the case?

It's more than likely the XLR connections, which can be up to 6dB 'hotter' than RCA, especially in a true 'balanced' XLR set up...If you haven't used them before, may explain the jump in loudness for you....

Thanks SC.

A

Anonymous

In the real world I don't think it's worth spending much more than what the DacMagic costs.

It's also very relevant because CD is dying out, and people have many digital sources.

Sure, I have heard expensives CDPs that sound fantastic, but you may big money for small differences.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback Gerrardasnails, glad you like it
emotion-2.gif
. You should get a job as a What Hi-Fi? reviewer!

A

Anonymous

I think you will be surprised at what an 840C can do for your music collection if you can get to hear one somewhere. And it has digital in for other sources too. DACMagic is very very impressive but 840C really is in "superyacht" league.

If you do save up, Richers have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on 840-series so you can get your money back in the unlikely event it doesn't "wow"

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Brutal.

Is that a review of the 840, DACMagic or a ref to the last comment ?

A

Anonymous

I can see a 'Reader Review' section beckoning......and RS doing a lot of returns after 'said reviews.

John Duncan

andyb190:I can see a 'Reader Review' section beckoning......and RS doing a lot of returns after 'said reviews.

Well we're one for one at the mo - 'sublime' suggests that it's, um, alright. We'll see.....

A

Anonymous

Couple of quick questions...observations I guess sorta too....

I wonder if there will be a big enough jump in quality from my Beresford Mk6/3 to a DacMagic. Sideways move? Better to put the £200 to saving up for a Stello, or even an 840?

Will Cambridge be offerering home dems of the new Dac? Like the arrangement there is with the 840 series at present?

As the 840 costs £750....and if it would be used mostly as a DAC for multiple inputs (Squeezebox, Virgin V+ box etc), is this the BEST way to spend £750 on a DAC?
How would the 840 in DAC mode compare to a stand alone £750 DAC I wonder?

Genuine questions, help me decide on possible future upgrade...I'm not trying to start a war! : -)

Thanks..

o

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gazjam:
Couple of quick questions...observations I guess sorta too....

I wonder if there will be a big enough jump in quality from my Beresford Mk6/3 to a DacMagic. Sideways move? Better to put the £200 to saving up for a Stello, or even an 840?

Will Cambridge be offerering home dems of the new Dac? Like the arrangement there is with the 840 series at present?

As the 840 costs £750....and if it would be used mostly as a DAC for multiple inputs (Squeezebox, Virgin V+ box etc), is this the BEST way to spend £750 on a DAC?
How would the 840 in DAC mode compare to a stand alone £750 DAC I wonder?

Genuine questions, help me decide on possible future upgrade...I'm not trying to start a war! : -)

Thanks..

o

I think that the 840c has only one digital (coaxial) in so the DM has something over it.

I apologise CA, the 840c has two digital ins (coaxial or optical for both), so same as the DM apart from lack of usb in.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am no expert but I think there's a limit what can be achieved with Wolfson's 8740. I was told by someone who should know that the later 8741 is clearly superior with standard cd replay and much more so with 24bit material.

I therefore would be surprised if CA's new DAC is anything more than a good upgrade for budget players but its usefulness and versatility in multimedia/pc/freeview etc environments where multiple inputs may be required is almost certain beyond doubt.

I'll make use of RS's home trial and will put the new product against the companies current top cdp with their 840v2 amplifier this w/end.

A

Anonymous

So.. how much does the DM cost? Do you reckon the VFM is there Gerrard?

A

Anonymous

Sure there's a limit to the Wolfson's abilities but I think you'll be surprised what the internal DSP running Anagram's upsampling technology is capable of achieving. Reading the comments from other DACmagic owners will confirm this

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It would be unreasonable to expect perfection but it does seem to offer an awful lot for the asking price. I'm looking forward to hearing it and the other 840 components.

A

Anonymous

No, not yet. How did you send them through? Best way is via CA support system. Ben is looking out for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts