Cambridge Audio combo or Rotel mix?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have seen similar discussions on here about this, but I could do with some advice. I'm looking to replace my old Aiwa system (don't laugh) with separates and Richer Sounds has an offer on for Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2 + Cambridge Audio Azur 540A v2 + Morduant-Short 902i speakers for £499.95. That seems like a good setup to me, but as they don't have any demo rooms, I don't know what it sounds like. I'm tempted to buy it based on reviews of each part, but I'm also tempted by buying the Cambridge Audio 640C v2 cd player and combining it with the Rotel RA-04 amp, which will also cost £499.95 but without the luxury of speakers.

Does anyone know which setup is best and what the perfect speakers would be to go with either, considering I don't want to spend more than £700 max on the lot? I listen to rock music mostly (progressive, hard, alternative) if that's any help. Also, is it worth upgrading the interconnects straight away? I'm confused!

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO at that price the Cambridge/M-S package looks like a killer set-up. Not sure what's supplied as standard in terms of interconnects and cables, so while you're there buying I'd fork out £30 on QED Qunex 2 interconnects or maybe even £50 for the Cambridge Azur interconnects, plus however many metres of QED Silver Anniversary you need.

Or you could go for Chord Co Crimson interconnects and Carnival speaker cable - the company's website has a dealer-finder.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am not a big fan of Later MS gears but for "sound per pound" I suppose they made sense. It's a shame that Julian Richers doesn't stock Monitor Audio gears as Bronze 2 would be even better match! From my humble experience (sorry, Andrew but I like to speak my mind) I wouldn't buy QED Silver Anniversary as I had a better result from a bell wire! Please note that is IMHO and I knows a few people that like them. Try Gotham, Van Damme if you can find them, for the price they are unbeatable.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You may also want to wait a couple of weeks and read the £250-£350 CD player test - including some promising new models - in our October issue (out August 23rd).

If you really can't wait that long, i'd opt for the Cambridge/Rotel/Monitor Audio BR2 option for £700 - it is, after all, what we recommend as an ideal budget system in the Best Buys section of our current issue (and every issue since last-year's Awards, in fact).

A

Anonymous

Have had 640 combo, amp v2, for a few months. Before that, I had Rotel RA971 mkII amp and the change was drastic - now I am able to hear much deeper detail and unexpected clarity. Live music is much more precise and lifelike. I re-listen all of my cds as there is so much more in each of them! Truly a significant improvement of the sound in all of the ways. Instruments separation is superb in comparison to RA971.

The only music which sounds less appealing on my system now is metal, Rotel had been giving it more dynamic and energy feel. Though CA combo allows to hear much more details in the progressive kind of metal.

I use B&W 603S2. I bought them about 8 years ago along with Rotel combo (RCD950/RA971mk2) and only now, through CA combo, I finally understood how great my speakers are. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback-it is much appreciated. I think I'll go for the Cambridge Audio deal as it'll save me a fair bit and with the extra money I will buy a decent digital/fm tuner to complete the set. Just one more question if I may...The package from Richer Sounds comes with the Morduant Short 902i speakers but the shop said that I could swap this for the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s as they are the same price. Which would be the better speakers to go for?

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS