Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - Streamer/DAC/Pre-amp

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
Hello folks,

I am looking to carry out a serious upgrade to my HiFi for the first time in almost twenty years.

I was after a Network Streamer as all my music is now on a NAS drive and a decent DAC to plug all my digital sources into (the aforementioned network streamer, DVD/CD player, TV). This would feed my ageing pre-amp and then onto my power amp. Ideally the DAC would act as a digital pre-amp as I no longer have any analogue sources.

Whilst googling I discovered the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N which does all of the above as well as acting as a pre-amp. It has won awards and has what sounds like a very highly specced DAC section. It is however now 6 years old and has just been discontinued, meaning they are being sold off cheaper.

Not very important but the styling (or lack of) would sit well with the other components I have.

Would this be a wise investment or are there now better alternatives that full-fill the same three roles (netwrok Streamer, DAC, pre-amp) for £1000? The majority of alternatives I have found do not appear to be capable of acting as the pre-amp or have a lower spec DAC.

I don't currently use any streaming services so I don't think the lack of chromecast would be an issue. I am looking more at the hardware.

robdmarsh

Hi I'm also looking to get a dedicated streamer as I'm quite happy with the quality of streaming services am ready to forego CDs and don't see myself getting into vinyl.

I haven't heard this streamer but there was a thread I was on recently where someone said that they had that exact model and were not impressed. They paid nearly full price, about £1000, but I think even if you could get one for £500/£600 that's a bit outlay. Maybe you should try and hear a modern equivalent like a bluesound node or Cambridge CXN v2. Some people on here don't really believe in the value of streamers per se when you can connect an ipad or phone or whatever to your amplifier and get pretty good quality like that.

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have read a few comments/reviews stating that the Azur 851N has better performance than the CXN V2 but also have been told there is little in it. I guess it would depend on the rest of the system. I am certainly open to demoing both and a Bluesound Node if the nearest Richer Sounds emporium has them.

I am not so familiar with the Node but the CXN still ticks all the boxes for features and connectivity, albeit with slightly less inputs.

The only streaming I am likely to do is from the NAS drive which I am currently having to access via the smart TV! An optical lead connects this to an old Yamaha DSP E800 AV amp that acts as a DAC and a Pre-Amp to finally feed the power amp. Navigation is as smooth as the floor of a pigeon coop!

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
You're not going to get anything like the best of a source like this if you play it through an AV receiver, that's for sure. That would be a wasted investment imo.

That is the current set-up and is what I am hoping to potentially replace with the Azur 851N.
It would connect direct to the NAS Drive and the power amp taking the TV out of the equation and replacing the AV amp.

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
Currently an old pair of Cambridge Audio P500s Bi-amping a pair of Mission 734i floorstanders.

The power amps will be replaced later in the year as they will become the next weak link and they have developed a slight hum. They have done well though, can't complain for the money, particularly after twenty years of service.

Not a Cambridge Audio fanboy by the way, that is purely coincidence. When I had the full system, the CD player was a NAD, the tuner was a Sony (not that I listened to much radio) and I had a Yamaha KX580 SE tape deck. Never had a turntable.

Tinman1952

I bought the 851N 6 years ago for £1,200. First one failed after 6 weeks. Replacement unit had a network problem and would freeze if it could not find the network needing constant power recycling.😖 It went on eBay....
Well built but awful firmware....
I would definitely choose the Cambridge CXN v2. Much newer design and I doubt you would hear any difference in sound quality...

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
The CXN certainly sounds like a strong contender.

There have been two developments:

1) Having spoken to Richer Sounds it transpires that all remaining stock of the Azur 851N are now located at the warehouse so I cannot try it out against the CXN, Bluesound Node or any other contenders. But from what you guys have told me the other contenders are just as good and they are current models so I don't need to rush out and buy one before they are sold out.

2) I have just been offered a part for my primary hobby at a good price so a lump of the budget has just been stolen. So that pretty much takes the Azur out of the equation as it will take a couple of months to replenish the pot.
For anyone interested, the primary hobby is an old Reliant Scimitar that I am rebuilding as a lightweight hill climb and sprint car and the new acquisition is a pair of bucket seats that will allow me to work out positioning and fabrication of mounts and controls. If you get really bored take a look here: Auto-TaT

Thanks for the help and advice guys, it has taken the pressure off and I now have a clearer picture of options.

Si.

Tinman1952

the other contenders are just as good and they are current models so I don't need to rush out and buy one before they are sold out.

Exactly.....👍

primary hobby is an old Reliant Scimitar that I am rebuilding

Is that the GTE? I used to live in Tamworth in the 1980s about 2 miles from the Reliant factory. 🙂
Princess Anne used to drive one. Super car..... 😁

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
It certainly is! 1971 SE5 GTE. I am in the process of replacing the heavy old Essex engine with a light weight all alloy modern equivalent from a modern (-ish) Jaguar S-type. So still a Ford derived 3.0ltr V6, just half the weight, twice the power and twice the economy. :)

IMG_0917.JPG

That's an older photo before the strip down started.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Smiler

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
Link doesn't work? Sorry:

www.Auto-TaT.co.uk

I also have an SE6A! I wasn't meant to but a friend offered it to me for way too sheap a price to turn down. It is a bit of a mess but was the first known Omega V6 conversion. It is also on the website.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts