Cambridge Audio 840v 1 - how much does it lack from the newer version?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You pitch 'em, I'll bang 'em out of the park

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Rev"]Good bass is good bass regardless of if its Motorhead or Holtz.[/quote]

No, one is amplified, processed and manipulated, as most rock/pop/etc recordings are, and the other is the sound of real acoustic instruments, (hopefully) faithfully recorded.

Holst, maybe?
[/quote]

Holst then - make sport of me cus I was typing in a hurry! But I still disagree with recommending anything to people based on the music they like; I think it is a bad way of offering advice and will ultimately let people down. Buying a system that plays everything well is the only way forward.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rev"]

But I still disagree with recommending anything to people based on the music they like; I think it is a bad way of offering advice and will ultimately let people down. .[/quote]

Gramophone reader research would strongly beg to differ.
emotion-2.gif

It's the same logic that can see a piece of kit rated differently for, say, Stuff readers, than What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision readers. Whereas we'll focus on performance-per-pound (and something looking nice being a bonus), Stuff will demand a bigger emphasis on styling.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have to say, I now understand why Gramophone liked the 840A. It gives such an accurate sound that if you are wanting to hear each instrument clearly it does that perfectly. Maybe for other types of music it doesn't patch up what you are not supposed to hear - you might, and I will clear this up don't own any Take That, hear Jason and Howard when you are not supposed to! I am very happy with the amp though. Rev, I don't know why you dislike CA so much. If you visited Paul Smith for a suit, you would only find Paul Smith clothes in the store but they are great clothes. And Richer Sounds sell Marantz, Denon, Onkyo etc., so it's not like you can't listen to comparatives. I would imagine that if the 840A was made by Sugden, Naim etc., it would retail at more than £750.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think you've got a bargain there, Gerrardasnails - if the 840A v1 had cost £500 when we tested it, you can bet it would've got a higher rating on our performance-per-pound criteria.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts