cambridge audio 840C or rega dac

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have the opportunity to buy the CA 840C cd player/dac for 400 gbp sale or return. Or should i seriously consider the rega dac. Would it be appreciably better?

I have the CA 840A amp and epos es14 speakers. I like both.

What do you think? any preferences with any reasons if poss. thanks Tonky

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Although never heard the 840C I think that the DAC part is based on the same circuitry as in their DacMagic. Wonderfull stuff, but the Rega DAC is better. So basically it comes down again to that same 'mantra': just go listen both and make your decision afterwards.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

Hi Tonky, dont know if this helps but i have owned C A dacmagic(same dac as 840c i think?) and Rega dac, i found the dacmagic to be quite neutral, more detailed but also a bit brighter and could become slightly harsh on some recordings than the Rega dac, which was smoother, slightly warmer, deeper in the bass and more engaging and musical. Gordon

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your contributions. I would have been hoping that the CA 840C would be better than a dac magic and not a dac magic equivalent with a cd player bolted on. I am not sure of the internal circuitry- the chips used etc. I did think it was more of a CA 740C equivalent and the 840C used better chips. I obviously need to do some comparitive listening.

It's just that the CA 840C is a good price now and some of the reviews I have read have been phenomenal.

cheers Tonky

A

Anonymous

840C is much better than the original DacMagic (I haven't heard the new DM, so can't comment on that.)
840C adds a nice 3D to the sound, plus lots of punch to the bass.
It's worth every penny if you ask me, especially since you can now get it on sale.

I have the 840A V2 and 840C and am happy with both.
Run the sound from my TV digitally through the 840C and into the amp.
Very smart!
Then I can use the tv's menu system to play music from a USB-stick.

Best,
Henrik

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts