TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I´d like to know which one of these two amplifiers would you choose:

Yamaha A-S1100

or

Cambridge Audio Azur 851A

I´d get both for routhly the same price so don´t consider that.

Many thanks in advance and with kind regards

Max

If I had to choose blind I'd have the Yamaha, because I trust the brand, the range has had good reviews, and they look great. I think it's blacksabbath who contributes here who has one.

But, I'd want to listen to the Cambridge if at all possible. My hunch, based on nothing much, is that they are very good designs that aren't always ideally implemented or constructed. Don't let my bias put you off though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had the 851A (and matching CD player) at home for a weekend.

Heavy and great features but lacked a bit of fun factor. Very correct and Hifi, measures superbly.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would say demo both amps if you can *smile*

it would easy for me to say the Yamaha but the Cambridge amp might be a better match for your speakers or it might not that's why it's important to demo stuff before buying .

i am very happy with my Yamaha but I have the model above the one your looking at which is 2100 you could pick one of these up for around £1600 new or even cheaper secondhand on eBay .

Yamaha do a new model that's even more powerful then mine for less money which you could look up on the Yamaha website as I can not recall the model number but it's worth a look .

I must say I have to agree with drummerman that some of the Cambridge amps can be a bit dull but again I found it's about matching your speakers with the right amp sonically

shadders

Blacksabbath25 said:
I would say demo both amps if you can *smile*

it would easy for me to say the Yamaha but the Cambridge amp might be a better match for your speakers or it might not that's why it's important to demo stuff before buying .

i am very happy with my Yamaha but I have the model above the one your looking at which is 2100 you could pick one of these up for around £1600 new or even cheaper secondhand on eBay .

Yamaha do a new model that's even more powerful then mine for less money which you could look up on the Yamaha website as I can not recall the model number but it's worth a look .

I must say I have to agree with drummerman that some of the Cambridge amps can be a bit dull but again I found it's about matching your speakers with the right amp sonically
Hi,

I had the Audiolab 8000A and purchased the Azur 650A, and it was brighter. I thought the reviews exaggerated the 650A, so I was surprised. So I recommend and audition. Only ever heard these two amplifiers, an Optonica from 1980, Pioneer A400 and Denon Pma100-m and the 650A I would consider to be brighter.

Regards,

Shadders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Or you could save yourself a fortune and get a Sony STR DB930.

I thought it sounded hands down better than the 851 in every respect. More like a (good) valve amp than SS.

Decent phono stage and DAC'S too.

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Well since I´ll use different speakers over the time, i cant really compare it to any specific speaker. Further more I would get them for a really good price:

Cambridge 851A normal: 1500€ and I could get it for 1000€ (thats 1300 pounds normal and 870 pounds when reduced) and about the same percentage cheaper at the yamaha.

Or maybe someone could recommend another amp in that price range 1100-1400 pounds (new) that doesn´t look stupid and sounds good, or even better than these two do. (I know that looks shouldn´t effect such choice but they do for me, thats why I´m even considering the Yamaha (well maybe not entirely but mostly)).

Thanks for your help in advance and with kind regards

Max

PS: Sorry for my bad english, Its not my main language (from austria).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Yamaha would be the better amp

the quality of the unit itself would be better then the Cambridge amp by miles and sound wise too and I can only go by what I've got but the sound is amazing the best I have ever had in an amp before but my amp is well matched to my speakers and my amp gets the most out of my speakers sonically .

are you thinking of buying your next amp blind without demo first ?

Not sure about prices in Austria, but the Denon PMA 1520, and the better 2500 are very good products. The Rotel RA1592 is hugely powerful, and may be too expensive. It's about £1800 here in the U.K. You'd never need another amp!

The British brand Exposure make some very nice integrated amps. The Abrahamsen v2.0 integrated amps are great value at under £1000; they have a great pedigree and an enthusiastic following. Lastly, Primare are very fine too and the i22 is in your price range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts