Calling the experts AV Receiver decision!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have pondered over purchasing an AV receiver for some weeks now and still no closer to making a decision! I wish to have hdmi connectivity and switching, audio over hdmi and upconversion of lower inputs to hdmi (Wii etc) if neccessary. I want it to be good at music as I don't want a hifi also. Room about 14ft by 15ft.

Now thats the easy bit!! My wife ordered a stand (quatropi TX1200B) which has a height clearance of 155cm, plenty of space width and depth wise, I have looked at camb audio but audio over hdmi issues I believe and no upconversion the onk 576 606 heat issues. Am I in an impossible situation? Should I go for a bigger amp and place it outside the cabinet or go for a lesser amp and forgo some features???

Thanks folks

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Go for a bigger Amp the Onkyo 875 is a very good amp am just about to upgrade my 1 month old 606 to it, RicherSounds are doing it for 599.95 on a VIP deal, Just ask for the VIP price instore, hope this helps Gary

A

Anonymous

Professorhat

My budget is around £200 - £300 but could stretch to £450 if convinced of improvement over 'budget' models. The stand is the reason for my heat concerns.

Gary

Will my jamo's be able to handle that amp?

thanks guys

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Which Jamo's if its the Jamo A102HCS5 I would go for the Onkyo 606 or wait for the Sony STR-DG820 £299 which will include high-definition audio decoding. Will you be upgrading your speakers any time soon if so consider the 875.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hmm, you are asking a lot of an amp for that budget! If you had to compromise on one area, would it be home cinema or music? Musically, something like an Arcam or a NAD amp is going to be best, but none of them will give you audio or upconversion over HDMI. There's the Marantz SR4002 which fits almost everything you want, but it's 160mm tall.
If music isn't so important, then an Onkyo / Denon may be the way to go. The Sony Gary mentions is a definite possibility as well, the trouble being no one yet knows if it's going to be any good and it's also just too tall for your cabinet (157.5mm according to the Sony website).
The other option is to buy in stages and get an AV amp for that budget with front pre-outs, then later on, add a decent stereo amp. This will give you the best of both worlds as you should be able to get everything you want home cinema wise in terms of features and not have to compromise on the musical set up.

A

Anonymous

Will the dg820 carry hd audio from ps3 over hdmi and upconvert? How is the marantz musically (they usually have a good rep!). What about the cambridge audio amps? very slim.....any good?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
From the specs I have seen, the 820 does handle HD audio, including the Linear PCM which is the only hi-rez audio the Sony will output - converting from Dolby/DTS HD - but it doesn;'t have video upconversion.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew can you tell me whether you will be reviewing the Yamaha RXV1800 and RXV3800 reveivers any time in the not too distant future? cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Lewis P:Hi Andrew can you tell me whether you will be reviewing the Yamaha RXV1800 and RXV3800 reveivers any time in the not too distant future? cheers

I know we've had some equipment in following the recent restructuring of Yamaha's UK audio operations, but not sure which models. Hopefully one of the review team will swing by sometime soon and let us know...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replying andrew, do you know of any receivers that meet my requirements! (at wits end here!) Can you tell me if any of the cambridge audio receivers are suitable or the marantz that was suggested earlier. I think I might have to live with the fact that the receiver has very little chance of fitting the shelf, anything new on the horizon?

I only have the Wii and Sky+ to connect thats not hdmi!

A

Anonymous

professorhat: There's the Marantz SR4002 which fits almost everything you want, but it's 160mm tall.

If music isn't so important, then an Onkyo / Denon may be the way to go.

How does the Marantz perform with movies? probably use 70/30 in favour of movies over music. Do you know how the cambridge audion amps compare with the marantz onkyo and denon?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Lewis P:Hi Andrew can you tell me whether you will be reviewing the Yamaha RXV1800 and RXV3800 reveivers any time in the not too distant future? cheers

We've tested the newÿYamaha DSP-AX563 (£400) for the next issue (out in two weeks), alongside the Onkyo TX-SR606 (£400) and the Denon AVR-1909 (£450). More to follow....

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard the Marantz I'm afraid (or the Cambridge Audios) - I just know they are considered more musical amps. To be honest, if movies are more important, I would look along the lines of the Onkyo / Denon range - the 875 is awesome with movies and very competent with music (it also has pre-outs to allow a stereo integrated amp to be connected up in future to further improve the music performance).

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know about the Yamaha RXV461DAB does this meet my specifications! I can get hold of one for £179.99 new is it worth it!!

A

Anonymous

I also bought me a yamaha rx-v1800, but I'm really waiting to know what the experts here have to say about this Yammy!

I'm a huge fan of your magazine and very pleased with it.

Greetings from Belgium

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts