Calling black S

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Hi What date did you buy the Sony ubp x800?
about a couple of months ago

if your thinking of buying one I wouldn’t bother i understand it cheaper then the Oppo but the Oppo is one hell of a good blu-ray player

when I had the Sony X800 it was very buggy it would freeze when watching a film on all formats I would have to pull the plug every time it freezes up I updated the player twice while I had it hoping Sony would sort the issue out but that never happened in the month I own it .

when you read round the internet about the Sony X800 there are lots of people have had the same problems as I had and they have sent the Sony back for replacement 2 or 3 times but still had the issues I had so I sent mine back before I got stuck with it .

i am 100% sure it’s software related and no doubt Sony will sort it out but time they do they will release a new player for next year but it’s pretty shocking that Sony released a player with so many troubles .

the Oppo is the one you want to buy it really is a good player even though it’s a lot more money but it’s worth the money just for a player that works

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

if your thinking of buying one I wouldn’t bother i understand it cheaper then the Oppo but the Oppo is one hell of a good blu-ray player 

when I had the Sony X800 it was very buggy it would freeze when watching a film on all formats I would have to pull the plug every time it freezes up I updated the player twice while I had it hoping Sony would sort the issue out but that never happened in the month I own it .

when you read round the internet about the Sony X800 there are lots of people have had the same problems as I had and they have sent the Sony back for replacement 2 or 3 times but still had the issues I had so I sent mine back before I got stuck with it  .

i am 100% sure it’s software related and no doubt Sony will sort it out but time they do they will release a new player for next year but it’s pretty shocking that Sony released a player with so many troubles .

the Oppo is the one you want to buy it really is a good player even though it’s a lot more money but it’s worth the money just for a player that works 

Firmware update came out 26/09/17 to fix bugs
Did you get rid of yours before that date?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

if your thinking of buying one I wouldn’t bother i understand it cheaper then the Oppo but the Oppo is one hell of a good blu-ray player

when you read round the internet about the Sony X800 there are lots of people have had the same problems as I had and they have sent the Sony back for replacement 2 or 3 times but still had the issues I had so I sent mine back before I got stuck with it .

i am 100% sure it’s software related and no doubt Sony will sort it out but time they do they will release a new player for next year but it’s pretty shocking that Sony released a player with so many troubles .

Firmware update came out 26/09/17 to fix bugs Did you get rid of yours before that date?
the 18th september i took it back to the shop but in that time i had 2 updates

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

if your thinking of buying one I wouldn’t bother i understand it cheaper then the Oppo but the Oppo is one hell of a good blu-ray player 

when you read round the internet about the Sony X800 there are lots of people have had the same problems as I had and they have sent the Sony back for replacement 2 or 3 times but still had the issues I had so I sent mine back before I got stuck with it  .

i am 100% sure it’s software related and no doubt Sony will sort it out but time they do they will release a new player for next year but it’s pretty shocking that Sony released a player with so many troubles .

Firmware update came out 26/09/17 to fix bugs Did you get rid of yours before that date?

Latest firmware is supposed to sort that freezing problem.
I'm worried about taking it but apart from the software problem is a very good player for the price.
I'd rather have the oppo but £650 is a lot of money

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Latest firmware is supposed to sort that freezing problem. I'm worried about taking it but apart from the software problem is a very good player for the price. I'd rather have the oppo but £650 is a lot of money
yes totally agree if they have sorted out the problems with it but the Oppo is a big step up in regards of quality and There is more control over the functions and settings of the Oppo then the Sony .

you have a good built in Dac and a light up remote control and Dolby atmos were the Sony will never get atmos but with the Sony it’ has a cheap remote you basically get what you pay for Andrew but if Sony has sorted the problems out go for it as it is half the price of the Oppo and basically common sense to buy the Sony as that was my thinking when I brought the Sony .

but do not regret buying the Oppo it’s faultless player but did have the same problems as the Sony when Oppo first brought the player out but Oppo are very good with there updates and customer service

i would try the Sony and buy it from Argos or richer sounds where you can take it back within a month and get your money back if you hate it and still has problems

.the other thing is Sony has apps on there player were the Oppo does not as Oppo says it slows the player down with player start up and film loading times as the Sony takes a bit longer to start up

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Andrewjvt said:
bigboss said:
Look at Panasonic UB700 as well. I trust Panasonic more than Sony when it comes to disc players.

Cheapest here.

Ja was looking also
What about the ub900?

I do prefer the construction of the Sony though
UB900 has analogue outs and better build than UB700.

I don't have 4k monitor yet
But want to future proof

To me the Sony looks better build quality (at least the chassis and outer stuff

What's your take?
We know we can only take whathifi reviews with a pinch of salt as they are not run by scientific tests to compare but more emotional viewpoint.

Top range Panasonic could be just as good.

Andrewjvt said:
bigboss said:
Andrewjvt said:
bigboss said:
Look at Panasonic UB700 as well. I trust Panasonic more than Sony when it comes to disc players.

Cheapest here.

Ja was looking also
What about the ub900?

I do prefer the construction of the Sony though
UB900 has analogue outs and better build than UB700.

I don't have 4k monitor yet
But want to future proof

To me the Sony looks better build quality (at least the chassis and outer stuff

What's your take?
We know we can only take whathifi reviews with a pinch of salt as they are not run by scientific tests to compare but more emotional viewpoint.

Top range Panasonic could be just as good.
I had a Panasonic BD55 blu ray player which gave me faultless performance for 5 years. Never stuttered or had issues with reading any disc.

I would suggest you check the player in flesh. It's certainly not a cheap tat.

Oppo's build quality is in a different league altogether, obviously you pay a lot more. Performance wise, you'll struggle to notice any difference.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been to pc world/richer sounds yesterday and held them in my hands.

Panasonic feels good build but light and plastic compared to the Sony and oppo.

The build quality of the Sony supprised me the most as not as good as the oppo but half the price so best buy for cost per performance/build quality.

In terms of demo I've not had chance to see them running but I doubt in a blind test I'd notice any difference or even a sighted test.

Now the big factor here is connectivity:

The oppo wins hands down has a usb 2.0 on the front and 2 usb 3.0 on the rear.

Both Sony and Panasonic only have 1 front usb 2.0 on the front.

So big question: is the 2 extra usb 3.0 worth £350 extra?

Also sad was the amount of bs the richer sales, salesman told me to promote the oppo over the Sony. I feel sorry for people not in the know that actually believe it and spend more than they need, especially old people.

Then the more technical questions that matter (to me)he didn't have a clue what I was on about and even guessed or avoided.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
If you don't own a 4K TV yet, and don't intend to over the next couple of years, I would suggest picking a cheap £50-70 blu ray player and buy the UHD player with the TV. Prices would've significantly fallen by then.

I've thought of getting the s7200 Sony for only £120
That's even got rear usb

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
And the light up remote control and display on the OPPO *smile*

I appreciate the better quality bit is it worth so much more just for that?
Only thing that pushes me towards oppo is the 2 X usb 3.0 at the back

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
And the light up remote control and display on the OPPO *smile*

I appreciate the better quality bit is it worth so much more just for that? Only thing that pushes me towards oppo is the 2 X usb 3.0 at the back
hi Andrew

why not buy the Sony X800 at Argos you have 28 days or a full refund and you have not lost nothing but if Sony has sorted out all of the issues I had then you have saved your self some money .

but if you understand why I never waited for Sony to get there act together with the Sony X800 is because it had a bad problem with all formats with freezing I took mine back on the 28th day so i would not lose my money and I was not interested in a replacement I did not want a player that freezes everytime I watched a film and the fact the Sony had been out for a little while and I think it was out in the states 3-4 months before us here in the uk so my thinking was would Sony sort out the problems before bringing out a new model .

And if you type in Sony X800 problems on google you will see a dedicated threads on forums and Sony own pages where lots of people have had issues with this player .

i basically trying to make you aware I thought I was saving money buying the Sony but really I should of brought the Oppo from the start it was only the cost of the Oppo that put me off that was the only reason I brought the Sony first because it was the sensible choice at that time .

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
but really I should of brought the Oppo from the start it was only the cost of the Oppo that put me off

You get what you pay for. I don't know anyone who has been disappointed with an Oppo, except the infamous WhatHiFi 3 star review. It seems plenty of people on here are very impressed with them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
So brought a 4tb external hard drive to start ripping all my Blu-ray/dvd
Collecting the Sony on Friday
So will let you.know how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts