Calling all gamers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know this isn't strictly home cinema related but though I'd get more response on this forum. Currently have a PS2, which admittedly I don't use too often, but looking to upgrade shortly when Pioneer 428 arrives. Which is the best console at the moment, PS3 or Xbox?? Or is it a matter of personal preference?? I know PS hasn't been out as long, so less software available, but that doesn't concern me too much. Won't be using either to up-scale DVD either as have a new DVD player in pipeline.

Any help much appreciated, thanks....

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have both PS3 and X360. The X360 is currently much better than the PS3 for games. In general, the graphics are better on the 360, Live! is better than PSN and then there is the whole "Achievement" thing, which according to how bothered you are, can greatly increase the longevity of your games.

The PS3 seems to struggle with the same games as the X360. This could be due to the differences between the programming environments that programmers are having to get to grips with.

At the moment, the 360 would be my platform of choice if I had to pick between them.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks. just been doing a bit of investigating, looks like consensus is that PS3 is more powerful machine and will be better when programmers get their heads around the PS's hardware, so guess 360 is the way to go for the next year or so and then take another look??

Thanks again, any other views welcome....

A

Anonymous

Xbox is the best for pure gaming in my opinion. However if you would like a still very good games console that also plays Blu-ray discs, and acts as a media centre and a personal video recorder then you know what to buy. Personally though, I would rather have a standalone Blu-ray player (Pioneer or one of Sony's sexy blue beasts probably), Sky HD (the best PVR you can get) and for gaming an Xbox 360 Elite, even though the PS3 is by all means a super duper machine.

A

Anonymous

I have ps3 and i agree the xbox 360 is better for gamers with better games,online service,video rentals and most of cross platform games run better on 360.
I got my ps3 as soon as it arrived in the UK (£420) and since i have 3 games for it motorstorm,ridgeracer,and one of the recent games unchanted.
The sad thing is games like unchanted and rachet and clank supposed to be the best games for the system at the moment and even then, they ain't class AA games,and what ever Sony does have under their sleeves (digital tuner),Microsoft will come out with some thing aswell.
But am sure it will get better and so will the 360.
The only good thing about it is,it plays games and it's a very good bluray player with poor dvd playback but am sure most people have at least one dvd player at home anyway.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I too have both consoles, and a Wii, however if I could only have one I would go for the PS3. I haven't seen a great deal of difference in most games, but I do have FIFA 08 on both and prefer the PS3 version.

Other than the quality/range of games you should also consider what else you get with the PS3. The motion sensor pads are great, especially with games like Ratchet & Clank. You also get the wifi built in, controllers with a built in play & charge kit, blu ray drive and free online gaming, all this would cost a small fortune to get for the XBox 360, XBox live itself is £40 per year.

As mentioned before the acheivment points are good on the Xbox, however in most games on the PS3 there are similar acheivment points to be unlocked, they are just based within the game and not open for everyone else to view. I played the Darkness through 3 times to unlock all of them.

One more positive for the PS3 is that as you said you have a PS2 you will be used to the controller, as it has barely changed.

The XBox 360 is a great machine as well though, I use them both about the same amount for games ( I use the PS3 more overall but that's because of the Blu Ray player ) and whatever one you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

A

Anonymous

HI, I used to have an xbox 360 but sold it recently for a ps3. The range of games at the moment isn't the greatest but there are some great looking games coming out pretty soon. Its also got everything built in rather than it all being 'extras', which means it not only works out cheaper but looks a lot tidier too. The xbox was great for gaming but as there aren't that many games that are exclusive to one console anymore I think as a package the ps3 is a better buy. If your bothered abouts looks (as I am) the ps3 looks a lot more stylish to.

I should become a ps3 salesman lol

A

Anonymous

hi all, i reckon theres one more thing to consider- the reliability of the 360 aint particulary hot, i am on my third in just over a year!

Every one of my mates is also on there second or third 360 and some have sold their returned reconditioned units and went for the psx3 just because of the re-occurance of major breakdowns and hassle with xbox customer support.None have had any hassle with the ps3 and that goes for mine as well.

just something you may want to consider...

The 360 is a great gaming machine but i recon the psx3 is a great entertainment machine.

A

Anonymous

I don't know if you'd class it as lucky or unlucky but mine broke 4 days before the gaurantee ran out, the service was great, they picked it up and sent me a new one, no questions asked, but it seems to be quite a big problem

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
4 out of 5 of my close friends have had the dreaded 3 rings fault and had to send back to Microsoft, I seem to be a lucky one as I am still on my first XBox 360 and I've had it for 2 years.

Microsoft did extend the warranty to 3 years for all Xbox 360's but there does still seem to be a reliability problem. One of my friends has had 4 replacements!

A

Anonymous

Basically forget about those PS3 specs for a second.

Finding which console is the best comes down to which console has the best games.

And on those criteria the Xbox 360 comes out top...and Xbox Live! is unrivalled.

Halo 3 has my vote for the best online game of all time.

Forgot the reliability problems...all been sorted now. The latest 360s have a new, redesigned motherboard.

There are some great 360 deals on Ebay at the mo. Have seen a brand new Premium 360 with Gears of War for £205 delivered.

A

Anonymous

Hi Raver, what games did you own/play on ps2 ? If like the majority you played Metal gear solid or Gran turismo series you'll be wanting a ps3 for 2 of the big games of next year

A

Anonymous

thanks to all above for your input. consensus seems to be Xbox better as a gaming machine if that's all you want it for, which I do, won't be using wi-fi, Live! etc, just on for a fews hours when mrs out and boys are 'round! Avoiding the whole HD dvd issue 'til it's resolved, whenever that might be. On PS2 mostly played MOH series, bit of GTA, then driving (Gran Turismo) and flying (Ace Combat etc) games. Should my preference sway my decision-making (marvsins?) or does my conclusion seem right? Thanks again all..

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Going by your last post, I would change my advice and say get an Xbox. I still believe the PS3 is a better machine, but if it is only for occasional offline games then go for the 360 as it is cheaper (considering you do not want the extras) and you can pick up some very cheap games now. There are also more offline multiplayer games available.

The difference in quality of games, graphics & gameplay, is not vast so you will not be missing out on too much whichever one you choose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts