Cadence, Amphion, Zingali

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No point whatsoever to this thread other than naming a few manufacturers of speakers which are rarely mentioned even though they make interesting products.

Cadence's hybrid Electrostatics had very good reviews, as have the others.

Perhaps some alternatives to all the 'usual' B&W's, MA's, ATC's & PMC's for upper midrange+ systems?

I appreciate there is often a preference for homegrown products and dealer availability may be an issue but I'd love to hear (and probably own) a product from the above.

drummerman said:
No point whatsoever to this thread other than naming a few manufacturers of speakers which are rarely mentioned even though they make interesting products.

Cadence's hybrid Electrostatics had very good reviews, as have the others.

Perhaps some alternatives to all the 'usual' B&W's, MA's, ATC's & PMC's for upper midrange+ systems?

I appreciate there is often a preference for homegrown products and dealer availability may be an issue but I'd love to hear (and probably own) a product from the above.

I was always intrigued by those Cadence speakers after reading a review of the Arca. For the money they seem to offer one heck of a bargain. Trying to find a pair in reality proved somewhat daunting so they ended up, along with many others, in the 'might have been' bin.

Certainly otheres like the Amphion appear to be 'more available' even if you have to buy without auditioning (which for many is a no-no).

drummerman said:
Your speakers are not exactly the norm either.

How did you come to purchase those Alears?

Not the norm no, took ages to find a pair in the UK and then only to find out someone had decided to spray paint them black....arrghh! Looked around again for about a year before spotting an untouched pair on a well known auction site and took it from there.

I think the more exotic are well worth waiting for, and who knows what will come along if you wait long enough. Personally I feel, especially regards speakers, we in the UK have become far to reliant on the normal offerings and are really missing out by not having easy access to many 'foreign' speakers, many of the US manufacturers in particular produce some class goods.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

Not the norm no, took ages to find a pair in the UK and then only to find out someone had decided to spray paint them black....arrghh! Looked around again for about a year before spotting an untouched pair on a well known auction site and took it from there.

I think the more exotic are well worth waiting for, and who knows what will come along if you wait long enough. Personally I feel, especially regards speakers, we in the UK have become far to reliant on the normal offerings and are really missing out by not having easy access to many 'foreign' speakers, many of the US manufacturers in particular produce some class goods.

Had you ever heard a pair? Or did you know someone who heard (owned) a pair? Or did you rely on (online) reviews?

I was once eyeing on a pair of Zu speakers, but I didn't dare to buy them, cos somewhere I had read they were not the most refined, kind of love-them-or-leave-them speakers. I couldn't audition them first, so I moved on...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Zingali speakers. I once saw a pair in the flesh (the Ouverture 2 IIRC), but didn't hear them playing. Again, would be a gamble to buy a pair, just to find out what they sound like...

pd_zingali_overture_2_100206.jpg

DocG said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

Had you ever heard a pair? Or did you know someone who heard (owned) a pair? Or did you rely on (online) reviews?

I was once eyeing on a pair of Zu speakers, but I didn't dare to buy them, cos somewhere I had read they were not the most refined, kind of love-them-or-leave-them speakers. I couldn't audition them first, so I moved on...

I knew my friend in the States had a pair and he swore by them especially for small to medium spaced rooms as they operate quite nicely in these and do not need to be miles from the rear wall (which is predominantly what I needed) they are also efficient enough to be driven well by low powered amps (which is certainly what I needed), I had, of course, also read reviews and might, just might, have bought them on speck anyway. Strangely enough the guy I bought them from was replacing them with, what was then my 'second-choice' speakers - the WLM 'La Scala' floorstanders, which at this time / still, are quite exotic. How's that for a coincidence?)

Note: The La Scala's are very similar to the Zu Audio Druid's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts