Cables upgrade for a Rega system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I bought a Rega Brio3 + Apollo + R3 system over a year ago (hooked up to a Tacima CS mains block conditioner) and generally have nothing but praise for its dynamism, clarity and overall excitement, I find it good value for money and very musical. The only criticism would be possibly a slightly harsh treble, not always apparent, but slightly pronounced on quatuors with violins (I know, very specific but am really into chamber music!). My musical tastes are widely spread from baroque/classical music to jazz, nujazz and rock depending on the mood.

The dealer "generously" packed the sytem with free speaker cables and interconnect and was adamant that I didn't need anything pricier: QED Micro for the speakers and XLO PRO 150 for the interconnect. My searches indicated that the Micro is best suited for a compact all-in-one system while the american XLO brand is merely known it seems... I am seriously thinking about an upgrade as I suspect the lack of treble subtlety might come from the QED Micro and am really unsure about the XLO.

Looking at the award winners from WhatHifi, the QED SA XT and Chord Carnival SS are always highly recommended and the Chord Crimson/Cobra3, Atlas Equator and Merlin Bach are often the pick of many posters. What combination would make my Rega system justice? Any Rega users are obviously welcome to intervene here.

Many thanks in advance and happy listening,

David

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello David,

Im not even half as qualified as other forum regulars, but one thing i can tell you is dont touch the Chord Crimson interconnects ! I tried them with my Rega Apollo and it only emphasises the treble harshness imho.

Kind regards.

T

the record spot

If you need to tame treble harshness, you could do worse than the AudioQuest Copperhead interconnect. Circa £60 and nicely tamed some more raucous elements of my system a few months back. Money well spent IMO, but see if you can borrow a pair to try out at home.

A

Anonymous

I would definately recommend the Atlas Equator interconnect for your purposes, tamed my CA zing into a wonderful, lively delivery...

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your advises guys, I hadn't heard of Audioquest but will be looking to borrow some of those cables for a trial before taking the plunge. Looking at their website at the minute. Also read on a French forum that some QED cables/interconnects were detrimental to the treble of a Rega sytem as they' are quite bright, especially at the lower budget end.

A

Anonymous

I think the Chord Silverscreen would be better than the QED (I have the non XT version) and the Chord seemed warmer.

Can't help with interconnects though.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I have recently demoed various equipment including your setup, the only difference was the speakers we used Rega RS3's. I had the equipment set up with Chord Crimson interconnects (as that is what I have), and like you said the system "tended" towards the higher frequencies, not harsh just noticable. Almost like some lower frequencies had been removed.

I asked that the interconnect was swapped out with a Chord Chameleon Silverscreen, and wow!, the bass was back, not in your face, but controlled and articulate, it sounded amazing.

Having said that I then heard the Naim Nait 5i/ CD 5i combo using the din plugs and am now in the long process of saving.

Folkman

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
As you seem to like the Rega sound the most obvious candidates would be the Rega Couple interconnect and Regas Quattro or SC42 speaker cable. I have been using the Couple and SC42 in all Rega systems happily for many years.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Your Apollo should have had a free cable from Rega in the box. Use that. It is very good. If your dealer removed it, remove your dealer.

Chord Carnival Silverscreen for the R3's will be good too. (Despite the very mis-leading name it is a stranded copper cable with no silver plating.)

A

Anonymous

I do have several options here, great info from all of you guys! In fact, I have been using the free Rega cable as interconnect between my DVD and amp Chebby: I assumed in the first place it wasn't good enough for the Apollo!

First of all, it sounds like I should borrow some Carnival Silverscreen for a good listen. Then, if conclusive, I'll test a few of the above interconnects. Regarding the silver finishing of some cables, my father swears by his handmade silver cables and interconnects. Honestly, it changed his already awesome Denon system to something quite spectacular.

Cheers everyone,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts