Cables for pre to power amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have an Audiolab 8000AV and 8000X7 en route and am looking for some advice on the interconnects between the two. I only have 5 speakers, so can you buy single interconnects instead of pairs? or a pack of 5 singles?

What interconnects would you recommend? I'm not sure what budget to allocate, but don't want to get carried away.

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Without breaking the bank, I'd suggest Chord Cobra 3 would be a good bet, at about £50 a pair. I'd drop a line to Chord using website, or simply give the company a buzz on 01980 625700.

I'm sure they'll do you a five-pack of cables (plus presumably one longer one for your subwoofer).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
If you have a bit more to spend then call Frank at Krystal Kables on 01579 362189 as he doing a special bundel deal at the moment. (I am using KK sterling 2 and can confirm that they are stonkingly good value)
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Without breaking the bank, I'd suggest Chord Cobra 3 would be a good bet, at about £50 a pair. I'd drop a line to Chord using website, or simply give the company a buzz on 01980 625700.

I'm sure they'll do you a five-pack of cables (plus presumably one longer one for your subwoofer).

[/quote]

Thank you Andrew. Your choice of price point is interesting, as that was the sort of number I had in mind, but I wasn't sure if I wouldn't be doing the amps justice, which is why I didn't specify a number in my original post. I'll give Chord a ring and see what they can do. It's never occurred to me to contact the manufacturer direct in this way.

Thanks again to both of you for your replies.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Orange"]
It's never occurred to me to contact the manufacturer direct in this way. [/quote]

It's one of those useful things The Chord Company does - I've always found the people there very helpful indeed.

A

Anonymous

You know what I'm going to say :)

Mark Grant interconnects. Much much better value and superb quality. Hand made by the man himself and currently connecting my Denon to my Audiolab brilliantly!

Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

chord cobra 3 at £42.95 from hifix got two last night Andrew advised crimson but i had the budget and wanned somthing better

A

Anonymous

You lot are spending way too much money. £55 for 5x1m fantastic cables from Mark Grant including postage would cost the same as one pair of your Chords and may well outperform them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've got a few pairs awaiting an HD deck and happy to lend them to you Andrew for your boys to test. There's just no need to spend the silly money Chord want, when better for less is out there. It's more to do with faith and the strength of the brand keeping us with big manufacturers. (The cable itself is not very expensive on a reel in the first place, usually)

Go on, I'll send them, you test them, lets see what everyone thinks then?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Will Harris"]You lot are spending way too much money. £55 for 5x1m fantastic cables from Mark
Grant[/quote]
Mark from AV forum has been selling his cables for a while and build up a very good reputation in the circle, I feel though that the like of Krystal Kables (another small british base company) does justify the higher price to my ears. Having say that if you have £10 to spend the Gotham and Mark Grant 's canare do made a lot of sense as the big boys have to add a lot of overhead cost like advertising, packaging and then you have the middle man put profit margin on top of everything else! money for all rope for 1 metre of wire!

A

Anonymous

Thanks all. I spoke to Chord direct, and then on the basis of what they said, gave Hifix a ring who have hooked me up with the Cobra 3 x5, which I should et next week.

Since the Audiolab gear arrived yesterday though I couldn't wait and set it up enough to have stereo sound using the bridged channels to drive my front left and right. Using an old Cambridge Audio interconnect between pre and power for the moment - I'm mighty impressed, I must say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts