Cable Fun. Now it all becomes clear.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ever tried buying a reasonably priced interconnect cable for your hi-fi, TV, home cinema, recently? It's nigh on impossible on the High Street because all the major retailers stock nothing but these ridiculously over-priced 'super cables'. It's just one big con. I wanted a short cable with 3.5mm jack on each end to connect my MP3 player to my Home Cinema system the other day. The cheapest one in Currys Digital was £14.99!! I found one on-line for £2.99 (free delivery) and it's more than adequate.

What really gets my goat is the claim by many 'sound and vision' magazines that you can get a better High Definition picture and surround sound from an expensive HDMI cable. HDMI cables do not transmit either video or audio signals - they transmit binary code. So long as the cable is not faulty, and the code gets through, then the picture and sound will be identical whether the cable cost £7 or £700. How do they get away with spreading this nonsense?

If you are trading up to a HD ready TV and a Sky HD box - then don't be conned by the retailer into buying an expensive HDMI cable - the one supplied by Sky with their HD box is perfectly adequate! Kev

A

Anonymous

I partly agree with you, mainly on the prices asked for well made, shielded brand name cables. (I've heard on this forum gotham cables is pretty good and cheap.Going to test it against VDH in a matter of weeks)

It seems there are definitely two camps on this forum, one determined that bits stay bits and thus the sounds and/ or vision cannot change in the digital domain- the second open to the possibility or even convinced that well shielded cables can make a change.

There are, however, even manufacturers of d/a converters that are convinced a well shielded digital cable can make a change. They make a pretty good argument for it too. Why not read it ? the link is:
http://www.lessloss.com/about.html

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

You took the funny bit out.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Solomon1"]It seems there are definitely two camps on this forum, one determined that bits stay bits and thus the sounds and/ or vision cannot change in the digital domain- the second open to the possibility or even convinced that well shielded cables can make a change.[/quote]

The whole point of digital technology is that it's totally immune from interference and losses in quality during transmission. Basically the signal either has enough amplitude of signal to convey the digital pulses or it hasn't. A change of cable cannot affect the quality of the picture unless it attenuates the signal so much it starts to drop out., which is highly unlikely unless you use very long cables. All HDMI cables on the market have to be tested and certified. The great thing is that even If you make tenth generation digital copies they will still look as good as the original.

A

Anonymous

The great thing is that even If you make tenth generation digital copies they will still look as good as the original.

Sorry but that's just not true, the tenth generation copy won't exist because DRM won't let it :-(

A

Anonymous

I've been pondering this a little and don't really care to get into a debate when my view is simple - I'm a software/systems engineer and to be honest, digital comms works as long as you obey the rules but also if enough people see a difference, then maybe there's a difference. But I've done a little digging and come up with the following three links that might motivate the fairly keen reader to entrench themselves further in the position they've already adopted :)

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx

has a section on cable near the bottom (paraphrase) "cables don't cause problems", bt there are length restrictions.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/certified-hdmi-cables.htm

comments interestingly on copmliance testing being for a part of a batch of cable at a non-determinate length. Suggesting that longer lengths of a compliant cable, may not be compliant at all, but don't need retesting.

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesarticles2007/articles20070301-02.html

Notes that cat5e performance is actually quite good...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jimwall"]
The great thing is that even If you make tenth generation digital copies they will still look as good as the original.

Sorry but that's just not true, the tenth generation copy won't exist because DRM won't let it :-(

[/quote]

OK, if you succeed in making a tenth generation copy it will be as good as the original. Is that better?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]Please guys, no cables war!

Buy wisely is my advice (not Dennis Wise!)[/quote]

Don't worry, Thaiman, I never intend to make war. I'm just curious - I like to find the reasons (or science for that matter) behind the things I see and hear.

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

Andrew, isn't that the movie in which the storyline keeps repeating itself until Bill Murray decides to act in others' best interest? MMmmm, interesting hint.I haven't got anything to add to my previous post anyway, so I'll just wait and see what others have to share.

A

Anonymous

OK, if you succeed in making a tenth generation copy it will be as good as the original. Is that better?

{petulant mode on} 'spose so.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Zoot Horn Rollo"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote] You took the funny bit out.[/quote]

Hmmm, joined the forum almost immediately after oldphrt (and his subsequent reincarnations) disappeared. Made a comment about the irony of Will Harris calling oldphrt rude....rather strange thing to say for somebody new in here. I wonder...?

A

Anonymous

Well, I was a bit rude to you too. So maybe I'm getting a little Old (phrt) in my old age ;-)

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Will Harris"]Well, I was a bit rude to you too. So maybe I'm getting a little Old (phrt) in my old age ;-)[/quote]

Yeah, you were, weren't you?.... you rude swine!

A

Anonymous

I am sure that Zoot Horn Rollo wasn't really called Kev! Was he? It's like finding out that Santa Claus was a your mother's favourite 'friend'

A

Anonymous

http://monstercable.com/hdmi/eyetest.asp

There was a video about this test, but couldn't find it. I have become interested in the RF and EM interference idea over the past 2 weeks and even consider researching info from non hi-fi independent cable companies.

I do use a surge protector for peace of mind on my a/v setup and p.c, I know IBM did some research into electrical spikes etc

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, all you cable sceptics out there, here's a challenge. If you can make it to the What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Show here at the London Novotel-Hammersmith, take the time to visit the Chord Co stand (Chablis Suite 12).

They're doing a side-by-side demo of some cheap HDMI cables vs their own, and the difference on a 42in plasma is as clear as night and day. If you don't believe us, then come and see for yourselves.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
OK, all you cable sceptics out there, here's a challenge. If you can make it to the What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Show here at the London Novotel-Hammersmith, take the time to visit the Chord Co stand (Chablis Suite 12).

They're doing a side-by-side demo of some cheap HDMI cables vs their own, and the difference on a 42in plasma is as clear as night and day. If you don't believe us, then come and see for yourselves.
[/quote]

So not at all biased then............

Just as long as they aren't simply grinding an enormous axe. Andrew hates that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts