Cable for iPod

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi can someone recommend a good cable for my setup please? (3.5mm jack to RCA and 1m long)

I saw this, but it's a bit pricey :? 

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11252/Chord-iChord-3-5mm-to-2-RCA-.html 

A

Anonymous

Haha, YES! You are a mind reader (I forgot to paste the link) :O

A

Anonymous

What about this one...

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2204&customer_id=PAA0859012409472SHDEXRGJWMEZBWPX

(use the 'drop down menu' to view the rca connector

I've recently bought one and it's great - no problems with sound levels either ;)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i can vouch for the russ andrews - uses the line out of your ipod so doesn't go through the volume controls of the ipod - cleaner circuit path - def better than the chord in my opinion

A

Anonymous

Hi, no I need 3.5mm to 2xRCA for use with my dock (so that I can use a remote and have it stood up rather than lay down).

ÿ

Any other suggestions other than the iChord?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Dang! That is cheap.

What I kind of want to know is what cable I should get to like match my system, i.e. spending loads on the best cable in the world isn't going to be worth it, but a cheapo one may restrict the potential of my system.

ÿ

Do you think the iChord matches my system or is it higher up in the (finding it hard to explain) you know! ???ÿ

A

Anonymous

Pmaninit:
Dang! That is cheap.

What I kind of want to know is what cable I should get to like match my system, i.e. spending loads on the best cable in the world isn't going to be worth it, but a cheapo one may restrict the potential of my system.

Do you think the iChord matches my system or is it higher up in the (finding it hard to explain) you know! ???

An expensive lead won't change anything, but using the line out will give better sound.

A

Anonymous

Use a line out cable

Use lossless files

Use a solid state iPod, or the 5th Gen with Wolfson DAC

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:
Use a line out cable

Use lossless files

Use a solid state iPod, or the 5th Gen with Wolfson DAC

ÿ

What is a line out cable?

Also I don't think I will bother with a DAC, I just don't see the point (or properly understand it)!

Plus 320kbps sounds pretty good to me - I have over one thousand albums and to have them all lossless isn't an option right now!ÿ

A

Anonymous

The iPod has a DAC inside. Some are better than others, and I find the solid state models to have particularly good sound too.

Line out means using the fixed line output via the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod. This will bypass the Pod's volume control, etc.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:
The iPod has a DAC inside. Some are better than others, and I find the solid state models to have particularly good sound too.

Line out means using the fixed line output via the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod. This will bypass the Pod's volume control, etc.

Aha, well for the moment I'm sticking with my 5th Gen 60GB, if I was to upgrade I would want more storage so iPod Classic I suppose.

ÿ

What iPods have solid state then?

ÿ

As I said before I am usind Cambridge Dock and that has 3.5mm jack at the back (but connects to the iPod via the 'line out')

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't worry about using an external DAC as the iPod doesn't have a digital output so you can't use a DAC with it (DAC stands for Digital to Analogue Converter by the way). A solid state iPod is one without a standard hard disk, but the storage is known as solid state (like a USB stick). Solid state is still fairly expensive at larger sizes, so it's only the smaller capacity devices that use it like the Shuffle, Nano and the Touch.

A

Anonymous

It's worth remembering though that if your music is on the iPod then it is also on your computer, and using the latter as a source opens up many possibilities.

A

Anonymous

Prof,

My experience is that the cheaper cable was much less ssssssibilant than the profigold, and had a better quality of connector. It goes against the grain to say it, but after changing the cable, the sound was bigger & less tinny/weedy; more natural in some way & crystal clear - difficult to describe. Mind you, I felt the same swapping out my Chord Crimson interconnects for Blue Jeans LC-1's at half the price. And my Belden 5000UP sounds better than any Chord cable at 3x the price and Proac cable at 5x the price/metre.

Winning combination seems to be max copper, quality connectors and good shielding where necessary.

My set up is Cyrus8vs and CD8x & ProAc Studio 110 speakers. They are connected via the Blue Jeans and Belden cables. I use the cheapo cable to connect my Pure Evoke Flow radio to the amp (directly into the tuner connection). The whole thing sounds excellent.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:It's worth remembering though that if your music is on the iPod then it is also on your computer, and using the latter as a source opens up many possibilities.

ÿ

This isn't an option, my computer (Macbook Pro is always too busy working on projects)! Also all my music is on an external so that I don't fill up my computer HD too fast :) (and all backed up on a second external HD)!

ÿ

I think I might order that cable very soon, no-one else has had any other suggestions yet...

ÿ

Thanksÿ

A

Anonymous

Has anybody heard or seen any reviews on this?

ÿ

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2350&customer_id=PAA1086015109750BBXQTJRNFFYMXISY

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts