Cable advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hopefully next week I will be moving into a new appartment here in Athens, and prior to painting the appartment, I want to pass some speaker cables inside the walls, in order to connect to a set of Kef 3005 speakers which I am plannign to purchase soon. Please advise what I should watch for this.

For the front speakers I am planning on buying the QED Silver Anniversary cables which are at 8Euro / metre here in Greece. I am still undecisive though about the cabling going to my 2 satellite speakers, because as you can imagine as the cabling is going through the walls I am going to be needing a lot of wiring and it could come out expensive if I choose the QED silver anniversary cabling.

Also because I am an amateur with speaker cables will I require the bare wire for now, or do I need it with airlock plugs at the ends?

This is all going to connect to an Onkyo SR-875 amp by the way or to an SR-605. I am still undecided about that.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't spend a lot on speaker cable if I were you.
Try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Blue-PureAV-Speaker-White/dp/B000305778/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205781230&sr=8-1

Before you install it compare the sound with cable runs to your main speakers and see if you can tell the difference compared to the QED cable.!!

Not sure if you have amazon in Greece?

John Duncan

Consider Chord, who do sleeveless (and therefore easier to route) speaker cable specifically for this purpose, though it may only be the more expensive models.

I personally would put speaker termination plates on the walls, they're neater.

A

Anonymous

Would use same cable for all speakers....try gotham. I got a gotham interconnect- it's very good, for it's price it's amazing! Guess same goes for their speaker cable. Could try to order directly from manufacturer as there is no distributer in Greece yet (or order via ebay).

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Consider Chord, who do sleeveless (and therefore easier to route) speaker cable specifically for this purpose, though it may only be the more expensive models.

I personally would put speaker termination plates on the walls, they're neater.[/quote]

I agree with the plates...but sort of agree with the 1st response too (although 16 AWG is a bit thin)

Wether or not 'audiophile' cable works... its nigh on irrelevant for surround speakers... Go to a hardware store - buy some good thick electrical cord, that is intended for behnd walls, and wire to a plate as above. Then if you must, get some pretty cable for the short run from the wall.[/quote]
Actually yeah, in this context, I agree.

A

Anonymous

Further to my post about installing speaker cables inside the walls:

Just wanted to ask with a speaker termination plate, if the quality of sound will be affected, because the way I understand it is that instead of one cable going from speaker to amp, it would be 2 cables, 1 from speaker to termination plate and 1 from termination plate to amp.

I have used QED silver anniversary cable for my 2 front speakers (L/R) and I would hate for the quality to be affected.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts