Cable Advice

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I have recently upgraded to a Cyrus CD6s/6vs2 combo to add to my existing Monitor Audio Silver RS1/Partington Trophy speaker setup and I am extremely happy with the result! However, I would like some advice as to what, if any, benefits upgrading my cables would give. I am currently using a QED 1 interconnect, ixos biwire speaker cable and the Cyrus supplied power leads. Would an upgrade to any of these benefit my system and if so what priority should i give to which?! I would also appreciate some ideas as to makes and models!

Thanks!

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Me thinks always get rid of any factory supplied stuff first, which in your case point to the Cyrus supplied power leads that you're still using. You could try the Clearer Audio Copperline power leads.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I sometime wonder if the aftermarket power cables can make the cd player (and amp)sound so much better then "Why the High end company like Krell, Naims or even Cyrus doesn't include them as a option?"

1,000 of miles of cables running from the power station and everyone worry about the very last metre......

just wondering!

A

Anonymous

1000 miles of high tension cable at 50,000 volts and you're going to get a lot of rubbish flowing into your transformer in your kit once it's all been converted to 240volts and 50hz. When you think what running a hoover used to do to the TV picture on an old cathode ray tube tv, you get some idea about the muck that must be entering all the hifi gear.

I would have thought that this would suggest that one of those 6 or 8 plug adapters that purifies the mains electricity would be a worthwhile purchase. They're a couple of hundred pounds but the make sure that smooth electricity without any spikes or noise is supplied and this must improve the sound quality.

I'd be tempted to buy one. But a better flex to the plug. Not going to help much. Not after all the crap that's in the mains already. You need capacitors and filters to clean that up.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
and you think that will make a lot of audible different to the sound of most hifi?? Funny that because it didn't make my kettle boil water any quicker! (yes, I was mad enough to tested that with my friends last year!)

Mains conditioners are useful with some kit, but I've found them unnecessary in kit with really robust internal power supplies.

A few years ago I ownd a Conrad-Johnson MF2500 power amp and they come with captive power lead and they would show many power amps with miracle power leads the door!

My old Krell 400Xi refused to sound any better (or any different) with Nordost Brahma (or any other power cables!).
A few friends in the circle have also told me that some main condtioner kill the bass of hifi system although I never experienced that myself.

Look, the end of the day if you think can hear a big improvment when you are using an after market power leads then I am very happy for you.....I am currently using Tacima blocks and Russ Andrew power cables and if my wife took them out and replaced with the woolworth's white ones, I doubt if I can tell any different.

It's my birthday today so I am a little drunk (already!) In short my fav band is not Placebo and my fav film is not phenomenon, if you know what I mean.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
I sometime wonder if the aftermarket power cables can make the cd player (and amp)sound so much better then "Why the High end company like Krell, Naims or even Cyrus doesn't include them as a option?"

[/quote]

Naim does supply a cable chosen over many years to make its products perform at their best. It looks ordinary, but it really does make a difference compared to an ordinary cheap IEC lead with a moulded-on plug.

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. I was conscious about delving into the power cord debate! Have you any thoughts on the interconnect and/or speaker cable? IYO should i be considering an upgrade (say brilliance synergy interconnect or QED XT Biwire?)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
and you think that will make a lot of audible different to the sound of most hifi?? Funny that because it didn't make my kettle boil water any quicker! (yes, I was mad enough to tested that with my friends last year!)
[/quote]
Ah but it's all about subjective effects - you mean you didn't check whether it made the tea taste better?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drw03"]
Thanks Andrew. I was conscious about delving into the power cord debate! Have you any thoughts on the interconnect and/or speaker cable? IYO should i be considering an upgrade (say brilliance synergy interconnect or QED XT Biwire?)

[/quote]

Don't know the Brilliance interconnects. From personal experience I'd be going more toward Chord Chameleon Silver Plus or Cobra 3 interconnect and Carnival Silver Plus Biwire speaker cable, or the magazine favourite QED Silver Anniversary Biwire speaker cable.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

Ah but it's all about subjective effects - you mean you didn't check whether it made the tea taste better?

[/quote]

LOL....I will do that soon and report back to you, should I use PG tips or Tetley as a reference?

TRENDING THREADS