ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi again

I am activ in a forum in my Country and it is a lot of discrepances about the real efect in the quality of the sound in a HIFI equipment of the speacers and power cabels.

it would be very inertsing for me to know waht is the opinion in this forum.

thank you in adavnce

Eduardo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The opinion of this forum is that cables do/don't make a worthwhile difference, and anyone who spends more than £1.50 per meter is gullible/sensible.

This is something to try for yourself in order to see which camp you are in.

Hi Eduardo

Fwiw, with SCM11 monitors and all other ATC passive monitors i only use standard 79 strand OFC or 500 OFC speaker cables. As to mains cables i just use standard ones supplied with all electronics.

I wouldn't think about it too much. I'll suggest saving your time and your money and using basic/standard cables. Keep it simple. Simple is best.

Btw, ATC monitoring
smiley-cool.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
JAJAJA really good answer! I realize it is the same everywhere regarding this matter. In chile they call them self the Reds (do not think it make any difference) and the Blues (do belive it make a diference).

kr

Eduardo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
JAJAJA really good answer! I realize it is the same everywhere regarding this matter. In chile they call them self the Reds (do not think it make any difference) and the Blues (do belive it make a diference).

kr

Eduardo

I'm a "Blue" and know they make a difference! :shifty:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Done a lot of cable listening over many, many years . . . I set my stall out back in the 80's, the amps and speakers I was using were producing a sound I liked. Change the cables and the sound changed . . . 'it was different' . . . not necessarily better or worse, just different. I used 1m of Linn K20 and a 5m interconnect run to the power amps, this interconnect cable was something that I had tracked down, it was not designed for hifi use, it was cheap, I made it up with nickel plated RS connectors.

Almost 30 years on, I still use the same cables, although the lengths are now the opposite of those originals; K20 8m, interconnect 1m. I avoid silver cable as it tends towards being bright, this includes silver windings in TT cartridges!

I believe this consistency has helps me adjust and evaluate my hifi SQ, so that what I hear can be trusted and I can make meaningful assessments in my mind . . . I trust my ears.

I also believe that a truly balanced system does not need fancy 'signature laden cable' to tweak it . . . If it needs a cable to alter the sound, there is something wrong in the component match??? . . . and dont forget, some cables are directional . . . :?

Does this make me 'blue' or 'red' . . . ?

CJSF

ebentjerodt said:
Hi again

I am activ in a forum in my Country and it is a lot of discrepances about the real efect in the quality of the sound in a HIFI equipment of the speacers and power cabels.

thank you in adavnce

Eduardo

Why don't you search the forum for opinions on the topic before posting a new thread? This has been discussed numerous times before & shouldn't be difficult to find.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree wiht you. If you need cables to alter the sound there is something wrong wiht the match. but for example in my case due the setting of my living room y am forced to use 5 mt cables and at the moment I have the Nordost 2falt (16). will my sound imrove or change if I use for example the in-akustik reference 1002? maybe in this case it will make sence due the lost I can have wiht this cabels in 5 mt?

thank you in advance

kr

Eduardo

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
ebentjerodt said:
Hi again

thank you in adavnce

Eduardo

Why don't you search the forum for opinions on the topic before posting a new thread? This has been discussed numerous times before & shouldn't be difficult to find.

Bigboss has a point - you are pretty much trolling. Mind you, not many people have taken the bait so far.

Fresh discussion? Far from it, you know very well that the discussion will be just the same as before - you said as much. The only thing fresh about it is your novel spelling of "cabels".

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
there is defenetly a point. And the once that are not intersting to post here are not forced to do it. but there can be other that want to share they expirience and impresions. I am new in this world so it is alway good to share and talk to people rather just to read information.

kr

Eduardo

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you do a search for "cables" (not"cabels") then you should have more luck in finding the multitude of threads that have already been started/locked on this subject. After reading them all, you will no longer be new to this world - probably just old and haggard :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
datay said:
bigboss said:
ebentjerodt said:
Hi again

thank you in adavnce

Eduardo

Bigboss has a point - you are pretty much trolling. Mind you, not many people have taken the bait so far.

Fresh discussion? Far from it, you know very well that the discussion will be just the same as before - you said as much. The only thing fresh about it is your novel spelling of "cabels".

A very lazy and offhand way of dealing with a newbie’s question? If we took this attitude to all questions, there would not be too much activity on the forum as many questions are revamps of age old problems? . . .

One would like to think the hot headed reactions of the past have tempered and perhaps even been revised some what?

In my case, my overall view has matured over recent months . . . although my general belief has not changed.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
I am a Liverpool supporter.

There you go.

Cables are necessary. That's it.

I hate football!!! each to his own . . . there you go . . . :cheers:

Cables are still necessary . . .

CJSF

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Never mind cables, my own philosophy is that the key to great audio and TV picture quality is actually what kind of batteries you use in the remote control. I switched to those bunny rabbit ones for my TV and was amazed at the vibrant colours and picture sharpness, did the same for my amp remote and the soundstaging had far more depth, while I'm sure there was an extension to the bass. Having said that, I've not yet done a double blind abx test yet, or tried to compare the results whilst standing on my head :rofl:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
ebentjerodt said:
Hi again

thank you in adavnce

Eduardo

I think you mean didn't; can you hear that horse bolting?

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Alec said:
bigboss said:
ebentjerodt said:
Hi again

thank you in adavnce

Eduardo

I think you mean didn't; can you hear that horse bolting?

Neigh.......

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil is right in that the polarised camps on cables are both correct, IMO.

When I started on my hifi journey I had a Nad CD and amp and some very nice Schonberg speakers. The guy who owns the shop wanted then to demonstrate how cables change the sound. After a short test we both agreed it didn’t.

As I upgraded I found that interconnects made a material difference, but less so speaker cable. Then things got interesting and led to one of those aha moments.

My sound room is a converted garage and my speakers were facing the shortest distance across the room. At the time I had a MF M6i amp with the DALI 800 Mk2 speakers and Nad CDP. I wanted to hear the chord Blue DAC and compare the upgrade with a MF M6 pre and power amp combination. (to see what would give me the biggest sound improvement, if you get my jist)

I was disappointed neither offered any significant change in sound quality. So a £350 CDP was competing with a £4500 CD transport and at best it was very limited. At this time I was beginning to subscribe to the CD transports are nothing but dots and dashes and the law of diminishing returns had reached a point of singularity.

I changed the position of my speakers which are now facing the long side of the room; I have a greater distance between me and my speakers. WOW, the change was immense. So I went back to the previous test, the chord Blue being first then a pre and power amp. The chord blue sounded unbelievable a far cry from my first test that said I took a gamble and bought a DCS Verdi – it paid off. The ‘ its only dots and dashes argument ‘ was crushed for ever. So was streaming as comparison. I also changed my amps to AUDIA 100 pre and power amps again the change is massive.

So the moral ( for me) of this story is – sound upgrades depend on many factors. And to hear an upgrade in sound whether it be from cables or from separates the system and listening environment must be have the capability to allow for any upgrade in sound. More to the point most cables won’t make a jot of difference to low end stuff . So for many people cables won’t make any difference for some they do. Which I think makes me a Blue. I get the logic to both arguments but music is an emotive thing. So CnoEvil was right both views are true. And the one thing we can all agree on is trust your own ears the answer lies there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts