Cabels

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daytona600

most hifi cables are a waste of time and over priced and are usually just standard cable cut from 100/500m drums with connectors fitted to them , most sound different but not actually better

standard off the shelf cables like belden brilliance range are just as good as most of the expensive types

But if you have a good sounding and balanced system expensive cables can make a Huge difference in sound quality on mains , interconnect & speakers Best i,ve ever heard and use amyself are lessloss , they offer these on 30days trial

www.lessloss.com

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
millerman said:
CnoEvil is right in that the polarised camps on cables are both correct, IMO.When I started on my hifi journey I had a Nad CD and amp and some very nice Schonberg speakers. The guy who owns the shop wanted then to demonstrate how cables change the sound. After a short test we both agreed it didn’t. As I upgraded I found that interconnects made a material difference, but less so speaker cable. Then things got interesting and led to one of those aha moments.My sound room is a converted garage and my speakers were facing the shortest distance across the room. At the time I had a MF M6i amp with the DALI 800 Mk2 speakers and Nad CDP. I wanted to hear the chord Blue DAC and compare the upgrade with a MF M6 pre and power amp combination. (to see what would give me the biggest sound improvement, if you get my jist)I was disappointed neither offered any significant change in sound quality. So a £350 CDP was competing with a £4500 CD transport and at best it was very limited. At this time I was beginning to subscribe to the CD transports are nothing but dots and dashes and the law of diminishing returns had reached a point of singularity. I changed the position of my speakers which are now facing the long side of the room; I have a greater distance between me and my speakers. WOW, the change was immense. So I went back to the previous test, the chord Blue being first then a pre and power amp. The chord blue sounded unbelievable a far cry from my first test that said I took a gamble and bought a DCS Verdi – it paid off. The ‘ its only dots and dashes argument ‘ was crushed for ever. So was streaming as comparison. I also changed my amps to AUDIA 100 pre and power amps again the change is massive. So the moral ( for me) of this story is – sound upgrades depend on many factors. And to hear an upgrade in sound whether it be from cables or from separates the system and listening environment must be have the capability to allow for any upgrade in sound. More to the point most cables won’t make a jot of difference to low end stuff . So for many people cables won’t make any difference for some they do. Which I think makes me a Blue. I get the logic to both arguments but music is an emotive thing. So CnoEvil was right both views are true. And the one thing we can all agree on is trust your own ears the answer lies there.

This coincides almost exactly with my personal viewpoint - just more eloquently put.

DCS Verdi.....very nice indeed, and your amp isn't too shabby either.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks millerman. Experience rather than unsupported opinion. I might dispute an opinion but good to know your experience which highlights issues beyond simply replacing a cable.

:cheers:

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
This coincides almost exactly with my personal viewpoint - just more eloquently put.

DCS Verdi.....very nice indeed, and your amp isn't too shabby either.

Thanks CnoEvil. The DCS is a superb peice of kit well worth the gamble ( I bought it without listining to it first) ive got to a point where I know I can improve the sound with better cables etc but TBH it sounds great as it is. The amp also is very smooth I fully recommend both pieces of kit.

kind regards

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've said this before but I'll say it again. :)

Digital cables and power cables make no difference to the sound quality. They either work or they don't.

I do think that you can hear a difference with some analogue cables though. The good ones don't add any noticable distortion so they all sound the same because they can't make the original signal better than it already is. Bad ones that do add distortion can make it worse though and I suspect this is what often gets mistaken for an 'improvement' with some of the overpriced audiophile cables.

steve_1979 said:
I've said this before but I'll say it again. :)

Digital cables and power cables make no difference to the sound quality. They either work or they don't.

I do think that you can hear a difference with some analogue cables though. The good ones don't add any noticable distortion so they all sound the same because they can't make the original signal better than it already is. Bad ones that do add distortion can make it worse though and I suspect this is what often gets mistaken for an 'improvement' with some of the overpriced audiophile cables.

Agreed.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Cables are very weird stuff. I agree with the above argument. I had problems with my system not sounding right for years. I invested in a very expensive mains conditioner & system even sounded worse. Anyway upgraded my speakers & the rest of my system, now it sounded much better. Then one day decided to try the mains conditioner again that was lying in the store room. The diference in sound quality was just night & day. So for one system It sounded better & the other it was worse.

Also I have tried cables than I never use to like now sounds much better now the newer system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts