CA Azur 650 Combo

hortensio

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Just heard CA Azur 650 combo + Whaferdale Diamond 10.1...wowww...what a soundstage!!!

I don't understand why people keep labeling them "clinical"??? they're simply amazing...!!!

Anyone knows which floorstander can make them give their best: maybe MA RX 6?? :cheers:

How about CA Azur 651 combo??anyone have read WHF March review on them???

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't label the 650A clinical but it does suffer from treble brightness which was apparent through Quad's 21L. Perhaps the 10.1's less resolved treble unit hid it from you. It's a fine budget amp but I went with NAD C326BEE then. Its control of mid-bass is looser than the 650A's but it was the lesser of two evils - loose mid-bass vs bright treble. :p

I'll be curious to know if the new 651A improves on the 650A's treble.

SS

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I know the rx6 are greatspeakers but I always found them to bright.

Persenely tried the BW 684 & 683 & rx6 (also mezzo8 wich i didn'tlike because of a flapy bass) on the CA650

I prefered the 684 to the it sounded more alive an musical whit tight bass an not bricht at all

on the 683 it sounded good but less engaging only the vocal's came out more up front, but than I noticed an overdose in the bass department from tim to time.

So wiith the 650 I would have chosen the 684's

(then as you can see I ended up with a NAD 356 & 683's)

hortensio

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally I don't like the sound of ca azur+B&W combo (685)....so,interesting that you prefer ca+683...

Maybe I will take MA speakers that are less brigt than RX 6 -- what about BR 5 or 6??Any opinion on that?

I do like how CA Azur's present the soundstage and musicality....

hortensio

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Rick you want to say that MA speakers would'nt be the best pair for ca combo...

so..maybe just stuck on whafr floorstanders....THX

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
SSM said:
I wouldn't label the 650A clinical but it does suffer from treble brightness which was apparent through Quad's 21L. Perhaps the 10.1's less resolved treble unit hid it from you. It's a fine budget amp but I went with NAD C326BEE then. Its control of mid-bass is looser than the 650A's but it was the lesser of two evils - loose mid-bass vs bright treble. :p

"Loose mid-bass". I'm glad someone's put their finger on exactly the problem with my NAD 326-based system's sound. It's so annoying with songs such as Blondie's "Dreaming", or (the Hatful of Hollow version of) The Smiths' "What Difference Does It Make". I really like the tom-tom drumming in these songs, but it just sounds woolly on my system. I was going to experiment with a speaker change (from my MS Avant 902i's), but if you have encountered the same thing with other speakers then I guess I'll have to learn to live with it while I have this amp.

John Duncan

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/HIFI68+CAMBRIDGEp29HI.PDF

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/HIFI+68CAMBRIDGE.pdf

are worth reading.

Hifi+ (not known for liking cables less than a grand, never mind complete systems) said "realistically the Cambridge Audio duo are capable of driving far better loudspeakers than they should be capable of" (© Hifi+). Wouldn't mind hearing the 650 with my DB1is...

matthewpiano

The CA 650 pairing is excellent. I've owned both the CD player and the amp and I'd have no hesitation in recommending them, though choosing the partnering speakers carefully is a must. I've always liked the combination of CA + Mordaunt-Short, but never thought the 650A combined well with the Quad 11L.

In answer to the comments about the NAD C326BEE, the bass can exhibit a hollow quality and there is a hump in the upper bass/lower midband region that can make it sound a bit slow and lacking in rhythmic ability. Personally, I liked the C325BEE better and felt NAD took a step back with the 326.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
hortensio said:
Personally I don't like the sound of ca azur+B&W combo (685)....so,interesting that you prefer ca+683...

Maybe I will take MA speakers that are less brigt than RX 6 -- what about BR 5 or 6??Any opinion on that?

I do like how CA Azur's present the soundstage and musicality....

Sorry maybe my explaination was not that clear I prefered the 684 on the azure 650.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts