CA 840c for DAC duties

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the above cdp to match my amp (that I love and I know others disagree). I've recently found out that I can link my computer to the Cambridge to act as DAC. Does anyone currently do this? 99% of my listening will be from cds but during BBQs, parties etc., it might be good to just let the pc churn out 320kbps mp3s through the Cambridge pairing. Any thoughts?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I do fancy the 840 but I would have listen to the 640 v3 (when is it coming out?) if it can do the same with DAC. By the way,on RS website it says that the 840 doesn't offer mp3 playback - does this just mean via cd? I'm assuming that it can transport mp3s to my amp from my pc as I mentioned originally?

John Duncan

Dunno on the first count, I've heard this year - sadly it'll be too late to suggest (if they're reading this) that they make it a combined CD player and network player (a la squeezebox), but hey.

And yes, I'd have thought that it would accept any digital input, otherwise it'll be pretty pointless, and that it won't play mp3-encoded CDs - the CA website might be clearer on that point than RS's Yes/No list.

A

Anonymous

The 740C alreay has it and has the same (inferior) DAC to the 840.

...and I think they are all good players by the way...*

TRENDING THREADS